catification w/o screws? and problems.

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! so I had bought a bunch of wire shelving units at goodwill to make a cage just in case I got a rabbit or guinea pig but, I ended up using them (along with rope, zip-ties, and poles) to extend my cat tree. It doesn't look as nice as a if I used wood but it was the easiest thing to customize. I will upload pics in a moment but I wanted to ask a question. I have five cats; Angel-loves tree. Nimbus-will go on tree if you lure him with toy but, is usually a beach dweller. Beau-scared of my resident ball python who's habitat is next to tree, total bush dweller. Simba-a certified beach dweller (I swear when he's on the floor you could mistake him for a  beached whale!), and Rascal-now most of the time rascal is outdoors but, when she's inside she stays in my mom/dads room until Beau (a huge bully) is out of sight, unfortunately this makes her a caver. okay now the question. I have a nice, large cat tree with litter box, toys, water, food, beds, and plants and only one of five cats uses it?! how do I make this a more "popular" option than the floor or on my sisters bed?

thanks in advance!

~Gigi

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you asking how to get all the cats to use the tree? Is the litter box apart of the tree? Or close by? Are the food/water located in the same place as well?

Is the tree located next to a window? You also mention that one of your cats is scared of the snake and the tree is located next to his habitat. Can you relocate the tree away from the snake?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. yes I am asking how to get them to use tree

2. litter box is right under tree

3. food, water, and plants are in a closet that connects to the tree (closet gets sun for plants)

4. I can try to relocate the snake.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Ok.
1.) I would look to move the litter box from directly under the tree. Even just a few feet away may make a difference.

2.) Try relocating the snake as planned.

3.) Consider getting some spray catnip and spray on the posts/perches.

With that, some cats, as you have noticed, are bush dwellers and don't enjoy being up high. It's just a preference thing. I think it is great that you are offering such a nice setup for your kitties and hope that a few changes will get them enjoying it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovebeau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok.
1.) I would look to move the litter box from directly under the tree. Even just a few feet away may make a difference.

2.) Try relocating the snake as planned.

3.) Consider getting some spray catnip and spray on the posts/perches.

With that, some cats, as you have noticed, are bush dwellers and don't enjoy being up high. It's just a preference thing. I think it is great that you are offering such a nice setup for your kitties and hope that a few changes will get them enjoying it!
yeah, my cat beau is very strange when it comes to my snake. he's fine then he walks into my room, crouches down, his eyes get HUGE then he sees Fluffy (my snake), then you touch him and he jumps backwards 4 feet. odd cat. all my other cats are enthralled by Fluffy and watch him all day.