Catdolescence - Suddenly I've Got A Moody Teenager

Ms. Snarls

Guardian of Mr. Mitch Snarls
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty is about 7 months old and over the last couple of weeks has turned into an angsty teen! He constantly begs to go outside (and it is getting really cold here in Michigan!) and meows at the door constantly. He'll whine for us to play with him, and then when we do try, half the time he just stares at the toy until we give up, and then he starts meowing and pacing again. The energy never wanes! What happened to sleeping 12-16 hours a day?

Any suggestions? I'm worried it's going to get worse especially now that the temperatures are starting to drop and I just can't take him outside as often. He has a lot of toys, vertical space. Unfortunately my apartment isn't super spacious and getting another kitten is not an option.

Mitch got a good hour or two of outside time yesterday...of course he was whining as soon as we went back in! Never enough!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :purr:

I don't let my Ruby out, and luckily for me, she shows no interest in going outside. I have read, though, that once you let a cat out, even on a harness, that it just encourages them to want to go out more and more.

If you decide to keep him inside, here's a TCS article that might have some tips for you: The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Mitch is neutered, right.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Snarls

Guardian of Mr. Mitch Snarls
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he was neutered before we got him thankfully. And thank you for the article - I guess I played myself trying to expand Mitch's horizons haha

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. He's 7 months old - no time for sleeping 12-16 hours a day!! Lol! When you say lots of vertical spaces - ones that he uses already, or are available to him but not necessarily used? If he doesn't use them, pick him up and put him on them until he finds one or more he likes and goes back to himself. Or, if you can possibly find the space for a small cat tree - that might help take the place of the trees outside that it looks like he enjoys climbing, especially if placed by a window.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can manage a catio with a cat flap, that will let your moody teen come and go safely.

LOL, "This, too, shall pass."