Catching feral kittens

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a semi feral cat that had kittens out in our scrap pile (we live out in the country). These kittens are about 12 weeks old now. The mother disappeared about 4-5 weeks ago along with one kitten. There are 2 left. When I realized she was gone I put food and water out for the kittens. I've been able to get one to come to me and even likes being picked up but I just can't get close to the other one. It keeps it's distance. I did get close enough to touch it when I put out some chicken one day. It is getting cold here and winter is coming. I want to bring both of them up to the house to the garage. I have 4 other cats that come in there to be fed and they sleep in there. It's heated in the winter. I know the one I named Scrappy will come no problem but I'm concerned about the other. Any ideas what the best way would be to go about this? In the past, a mom cat always brought her babies to the house but that's not the case this time.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start feeding them in the back of a crate, carrier or safe trap. Get them used to it and then either just close them inside during a feeding or use the trap to get them. Using a nice smelly food for catching helps. Tuna canned in water, KFC, Gerber 2nd foods all meat baby food chicken that is slightly warmed can all be good lured to use. They also work to bring kittens closer to you for socializing. I do that by just laying still near the food dish. After the kitten is used to seeing you then start moving the food nearer and nearer. Eventually the Second kitten may begin to be less afraid. If you had lots of time I would suggest going through a process with the carrier but if time is short, you may need to trap the second kitten. Have you had any experience with the kitty traps? I am so glad you are helping them! Without you or Mom cat, the Winter will be tough. I wish everyone cared enough to save the ferals! Although the second kitten is not social, working with it can still bring about socializing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Standing and kneeling by the food dish is how I got Scrappy to come by me. After a while I was able to set him on my knee and eventually I was able to pick him up. He comes out when I call him and will follow me for a short distance. But the other one won't come near me even when he has seen his brother around me. This one is very skittish. Don't even know if it is a male or female.
I do have a small animal live trap that I used to trap red squirrels in the attic. Not sure if this kitten would go in it. I also have two small animal carriers.
I think Scrappy would adapt quickly to the garage but I'm afraid for the other kitten if I do get it trapped and moved to the garage. The trap and the carriers are not big enough to keep it in for more than a day or so. Maybe should I cover the bigger cat carrier and leave the door open for it or is that not a good idea?
We keep our vehicles in this garage. The other cats all just run out the pet door when we open a garage door and start a vehicle. Once we drive out of the garage they return. I think Scrappy would figure that out also. I'm just not sure about the other one.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I certainly don't know how your property is laid out but I had to move a litter who lost their mother from a neighbor's property (nice woman who did not want to hurt them) to my property. Two were approachable and one was not, in fact, she is still an outdoor only TNRed very feral girl. I slowly moved the food to where I wanted them to begin to eat and it did work. As for the garage, I see your point about what the second cat might do with a car, but my garage is open as well with heated beds and a car and comes and goes and everyone seemed to figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I can't move the dishes slowly to the garage. It's a pretty open area between where the kittens are and the garage.
Today when I went to feed them Scrappy followed me all the way back to the house. The other cats came out to check him out. He got a little spooked and started to go all over the place. I was afraid he wouldn't find his way back. I picked him up and carried him back to familiar territory. I don't want these 2 to get separated. I guess I'll have to try and trap the other one and hope for the best.