Cat

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
B75F39E4-C7CE-48AC-9FBB-03F131C4F536.jpeg

I was petting my cat i felt something so I searched in her hair saw this it’s like dry blood it’s only one side 2or 3 places neck and chin .. what should i do is it because she scratches herself??? Should i cut her nails??? B75F39E4-C7CE-48AC-9FBB-03F131C4F536.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That actually looks very like flea dirt...which is dried blood. Is she on a good flea preventative? And do be aware that sometimes fleas can become immune to a preventative after a while!

Unless you are seeing fresh blood from an injury, I wouldn't fret TOO much over it. Check for those fleas, and keep an eye on things. If it gets worse/spreads, then a visit with the vet is in order. However, this isn't a life-threatening situation. That said, I KNOW how we get about our cats!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Good thinking, Mamanyt1953. From the pictures, I do think it does look like flea dirt. An easy way to tell for sure, is to wet a paper towel, and have some of the dirt soak on the towel. If it turns red, then it's flea dirt, because flea dirt is digested blood, which turns black when it dries, the towel trick will "rehydrate it", so to speak.

Even indoor cats can get fleas, because they can come into your home from outside. So, I would recommend putting her on flea control (something like Advantage or Frontline). You can get those from a pet supply store, or from your vet. And, of course, as Mamanyt1953 said, if it gets worse, then you need to check with your vet.

Have you noticed her scratching? If so, that would be consistent with having fleas, because they can cause irritation and itchiness. So, you could trim her nails, which could reduce the risk of her accidentally hurting herself, but I think that you would need to address the underlying issue first, which I think is fleas.

I'll attach some helpful articles:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, to test the flea theory, use a dish with a lot of dish soap added to water and a flea comb and brush her in long strokes starting at her head and going down to her tail. If you see anything in the comb, dip it in the soapy water (which will drown the fleas), remove it and wipe it off with a paper towel and comb again in the swath next to the last one. In addition to any fleas you might 'catch' there will be more flea dirt collected as well. By combing this way, you 'chase' fleas to the tail area, so be sure to comb her back end, and tail as well. If you don't come up with anything from doing this, it is likely not fleas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That actually looks very like flea dirt...which is dried blood. Is she on a good flea preventative? And do be aware that sometimes fleas can become immune to a preventative after a while!

Unless you are seeing fresh blood from an injury, I wouldn't fret TOO much over it. Check for those fleas, and keep an eye on things. If it gets worse/spreads, then a visit with the vet is in order. However, this isn't a life-threatening situation. That said, I KNOW how we get about our cats!
No it’s not like flea dirt it’s like dry blood I don’t know how to explain but it’s not small black dots .. i have flea treatment i can put for her but im not sure what is it