Cat Yowls Randomly

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats do this just to hear themselves and to establish they are in their territory and are claiming it. Most cats I have had don't do this, but my Burt did. From a kitten he would walk around at night, and sometimes during the day and let a big yowl. He would always look at me like "WHAT"!? when I would go looking to see why he was yowling. Last fall he let out one last one to bring us to him when he died at seventeen of cancer, I was so thankful for that. so be thankful for those yowls, it is a special part of your boy!

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think cats do this just to hear themselves and to establish they are in their territory and are claiming it. Most cats I have had don't do this, but my Burt did. From a kitten he would walk around at night, and sometimes during the day and let a big yowl. He would always look at me like "WHAT"!? when I would go looking to see why he was yowling. Last fall he let out one last one to bring us to him when he died at seventeen of cancer, I was so thankful for that. so be thankful for those yowls, it is a special part of your boy!
So sorry for your loss big hugs sent your way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breadstik

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing this story! I am so deeply sorry for your loss but I’m glad Burt lived a long and happy life with people who loved him. I will certainly treasure Pumpkin’s weird howling, whatever his reason is for it. It’s something that makes him unique!

ShandaLear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry to hear that hun it is so hard when you lose pets they are like losing a child they become members of the family. We lost our beagle casey in dec of 2016 she was only 12 years old i felt like she should have lived alot longer than she did but god had seperate plans for her i still miss her badly. I think god sent me sebastian(my furball kitty) to replace my casey he sent me him just 6 months after she passed i found him out in the woods by my house severly beaten up he was very thin and frail and i nursed him back to health and i just brought him in to my home before the nasty winter started about 4 months ago and he has been auch a joy to have but he does that yowl to lol i think he is gonna be mad at me he is gonna be getting neutered this coming tuesday lol

Thank you, it is devastating, isn't it? We love our friends and family and we feel their love in return, but there's something special about an animal who decides to love us back. I always feel so honored when a pet does that because they don't have to. We're working with our new cat, Marnie. She's 6 years old and I don't think anyone ever bothered to bond with her in a real way. She wants so much to be loved on but she just doesn't know if she can trust us yet, but she's getting there every day, a little more. One thing is for sure, when we lose a beloved pet, there are plenty more waiting for a chance to be in our lives. :purr:

ShandaLear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bless her, and I’m sorry for your loss. :( I hope you have other kitties to keep the house lively in her absence.
Thank you, we just adopted a female cat, Marnie, who's had a hard life and our hearts just went out to her. Working with her and watching her slowly heal is a great distraction and healing for us as well.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a male who did that and my female does it too. I don't know why. We may never know the answer. It's so weird. All I know is when I holler out "what's wrong?" they go to the "indoor" meow and settle down. Maybe they think they are alone.