Cat Yowling Constantly.

Sylvashia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I say constantly I mean it. He doesnt stop for hours. and its not really yowling its SCREAMING. As loud as a cat can possibly get.

My cat is almost 14 for a long time he would sometime in the early morning cry to seemingly wake me up. He does seem to have some form of separation anxiety towards me and doesn't like me to be asleep when he isn't. It used to only be every once and a while he did this.

A couple years ago he started doing it much more frequently. Now extending to doing it at all hours. It was still just loud meows and he would pull the classic cat knocks everything off the counters move in the morning. I always thought he was just hungry or as I said above anxious about me not being up with him. But as he did it more during the evening, while I was up, he would go to our upstairs door which separates our living spaces. Hes never been a playful cat so when I try play hes not interested, food gets no stopping, attention not it either.

It became everyday with him scratching that door, which I cant let him out. I think he wants to get up there but there are cats he refuses to get along with up there. Our area is very spacious so I don't think he wants room, I honestly think he wants to kill those cats (which are female so I dont think its standard malevsmale aggression. All parties are also spayed/neutered). He'll leave the door only to go scratch other things, our tv, our mirror, any loud surface he can find, any sort of bag that makes a loud crinkle. Or he'll come cry at me directly but run away when I try to pet him or show him attention.

So for years we've delt with crying day and night, driving us to go insane, but then it got worse. Our other cat passed months ago and the crying became yowling in the early morning. I looked into depression and know thats probably the cause for the new level of crying, but he still did this for years before his friend passed.
So now recently we finally adopted another cat, I thought perhaps getting him a new friend would bring him some comfort/a new play friend to get his energy out. It hasn't helped at all and he literally just screams and then yowls for hours straight. Nothing gets him to stop, the vet said he looks perfectly healthy. I've read every article about not giving them attention or what it "could be" and nothing has helped, nothing has seemed like what hes doing.

Please help if you have any ideas. This cat is my baby for 14years, my best friend, but hes driving me insane and to feel like I just hate him. I could never get rid of him but I feel like my life has just been misery for a few years and even more so now. I don't want to be mad at him for the rest of his life because I can't figure out how to help him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you say the vet says he 'looks' perfectly healthy, I am guessing that means that a full senior work-up/blood panel were not done? At his age, he should be getting this annually. And, really, before any other course of action can be decided, having health related issues ruled out is first and foremost.

Maybe you would be interested in this article (link below) about cats howling more as they age.

Why do cats howl when they get older?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm so sorry!

Along with the great advice you've already gotten, aybe something here in this list of calming products and methods will help;

Feliway is popular but expensive and doesn't always work.

For example, Only Natural Pet has a spray product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There are also treats, collars, and diffusers made by many companies.

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Music can be useful in helping a cat to relax (not 24 hours a day though, just now and then for a couple hours or so).
Low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, and there's MusicForCats . com as some sources.

You could try one of these, only a small selection of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer.
If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The anger you feel is actually your frustration in not being able to make him feel better. Consider that for a minute. Did that help you relax a little? I hope so, because it should.

If he's had a complete senior physical it may be time to consider anti-anxiety meds. If you do. Some use Prozac, others other things. The one we found that worked best for our anxious dog was Clomicalm by Novis. It's supposed to really help cats. During the time we were using it, Novis screwed up getting the wrong pills in the wrong bottles. There was a time we couldn't get the medicine. This means you need to know absolutely what the medicine looks like -- take pictures of it -- no matter who the manufacture is. You also need to keep enough lower doses to be able to wean your kit off of it if need be.