Cat yellow back teeth

Sai_Rhy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
I noticed some yellow colour on my cat's back teeth. I would like to know whether this is dental plaque or tartar, and most importantly, if this can be removed with toothpaste brushing.
20211203_154257.jpg

P.S: He recently had surgery for mass removal and I am not too keen to do a repeated anaesthesia for him during the recovery period.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try some Oratene water additive fro cats. My cats had yellowing like that and it got much better after a few months of using this. I have used it for years. it is the only one I have found that my cats couldn't detect in the water and will drink. My vet always commented on how good their teeth looked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sai_Rhy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is great to here. Unfortunately I don't think I will find such water additive where I live. I am currently using a chlorohexidine cat toothpaste for the past few days. But I am not sure if this is hardened tartar, in which case it would be difficult to just brush it off. Did your vet mention anything about it being plaque or tartar?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sai_Rhy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So to be safe, I decided to contact my vet. As you mentioned, it is plaque accumulating on the tooth. Hopefully, according to him, this should resolve within a month with more frequent brushing 😊. Thank you very much for your help on this.
Hope your cats are doing great!