Cat yelled and walked funny but now is normal?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elsa has been eating, using her box and acting normal. She's around 9 to 10 years old. She was walking towards me with nothing around her and suddenly yelled and went under the bed. Her walk seemed a little off after that. A few minutes later and she's been jumping and playing. Now she's just lying down flicking her tail.

My other cat, kitty, had this happen to her years ago. I rushed her to the vet and he couldn't find anything wrong. Said she probably jumped wrong.

I don't know if i should rush her to a vet er, i don't even know if i can afford that to be honest. I reached out to my vet to see if i can bring her in tomorrow.

I carried her and she let me touch her all over. So I'm confused and scared. She was even trying to play a second ago and did a jump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elsa

Elsa 2

ignore my messy room. She's just lying down for now. I'm not sure what to think. She seems normal but shes swishing her tail.

Edit: the only new thing i did was that i elavated the area she eats so the robot vacuum can go under it. Maybe i made it too high? I lowered it already just in case.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is kind of swaying her back end while walking.. were you able to make an appointment with her normal vet?
That's her normal walk. Lol she likes to sway when she walks. I always joke that she has a flirty walk.

Elsa 3

here you can see her hesitate to make a jump. But she seems calm now.

Edit: i forgot to answer about the vet visit. I had to leave them an email. It's 7:51 pm here in Miami. I'm waiting to see if they'll answer if not I'll call in the morning.

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's her normal walk. Lol she likes to sway when she walks. I always joke that she has a flirty walk.
That is so funny and super cute lol.. ok so knowing that is her normal walk.. I would just keep an eye on her she seems like she is fine.
I can tall you one day I was playing with my girl with a wand toy and one time one of her jumps she landed wrong and she limped for about 10 minutes and then was fine after that.
That being said I can only give you my opinion as im not a vet.. I dont think she needs to go to an er vet. I would personally just keep an eye on her. If she has this happen again or starts walking weird I would record it and make an appointment with her normal vet. I say to record it just in case she seems fine at the vet you can show exactly how she walked when she was walking weirdly.. so for now my personal opinion would just be keep an eye on her. Could she have stepped on something? Or did she jump down and maybe land funny? It's hard to say what did happen. What is good though is how she is walking fine now.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so funny and super cute lol.. ok so knowing that is her normal walk.. I would just keep an eye on her she seems like she is fine.
I can tall you one day I was playing with my girl with a wand toy and one time one of her jumps she landed wrong and she limped for about 10 minutes and then was fine after that.
That being said I can only give you my opinion as im not a vet.. I dont think she needs to go to an er vet. I would personally just keep an eye on her. If she has this happen again or starts walking weird I would record it and make an appointment with her normal vet. I say to record it just in case she seems fine at the vet you can show exactly how she walked when she was walking weirdly.. so for now my personal opinion would just be keep an eye on her. Could she have stepped on something? Or did she jump down and maybe land funny? It's hard to say what did happen. What is good though is how she is walking fine now.

Thank you! Your post made me feel a lot better. When she yelled she had jumped down from her tree to come and play. That's when she seemed to hurt herself. She's resting now and acting normal. I'm going to try to get her in for a check up. I will record her if i notice anything off.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can almost guarantee she landed funny like my girl did when she was playing.. especially since she was fine shortly after.. it literally took my baby at least 10 minutes before the limp went away and she started to walk normal again.

So definitely just keep an eye on her and if she doesn't show any signs she is feeling any discomfort or limping maybe you can call the vet and talk to them over the phone..

I am glad she got back to normal fairly quickly.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she just pulled something. Happens to people too.
It happens to me all the time. I just panic cause in my mind they are still my baby's. But the reality is that they are getting older and will start having aches and pains. I just panicked when i heard her yell out in pain.
I can almost guarantee she landed funny like my girl did when she was playing.. especially since she was fine shortly after.. it literally took my baby at least 10 minutes before the limp went away and she started to walk normal again.

So definitely just keep an eye on her and if she doesn't show any signs she is feeling any discomfort or limping maybe you can call the vet and talk to them over the phone..

I am glad she got back to normal fairly quickly.
Thank you again for taking the time to respond you helped calm me down. I will keep an eye on her just in case. I'll keep you all posted if it happens again.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens to me all the time. I just panic cause in my mind they are still my baby's. But the reality is that they are getting older and will start having aches and pains. I just panicked when i heard her yell out in pain.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond you helped calm me down. I will keep an eye on her just in case. I'll keep you all posted if it happens again.
You're more than welcome. Yea that is what I would do, just keep am eye on her. I think she is fine honestly she probably landed in a weird way when she jumped down from the cat tree.

Sounds good I'll be watching for your updates.

When is the last time she was at the vet

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elsa is acting like she's in pain again. Shes been fine all day. But when i carried her to eat she didn't like it. She ate a little and went to hide. She didn't want to come when i called her to get petted. I can take her to the vet on Monday. Is there anything i can do until then? Should i go to the emergency vet? Will they let me pay in installments?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very unlikely that the emergency vet will let you pay in installments. You could call and ask them, but even if the person on the phone said you cold, it would not guarantee that they would let you when you got there.

Note - I'm not saying that you should take her to the ER or not. All I'm saying is about the ER vet payment attitude, which is usually firm.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very unlikely that the emergency vet will let you pay in installments. You could call and ask them, but even if the person on the phone said you cold, it would not guarantee that they would let you when you got there.

Note - I'm not saying that you should take her to the ER or not. All I'm saying is about the ER vet payment attitude, which is usually firm.
Thank you. I am keeping an eye on her and will see how she's doing tomorrow. I think i made things worse when i tried to carry her to her food. I was trying to help her so she won't be jumping around. I laid out a head pad for her.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often vets will accept care credit, if that is an option for you.
I do have care credit. But only 300$ i had to get dental surgery early this year for elsa it cost me over 1000$. So I'm still trying to pay that off.

I'm emailing right now with my vet to see what he suggests. I sent him a video of her.

I managed to get her to lie down on a low heat pad and it seems to be comforting her.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What concerns me and did in your video as well, is that your cats respirations are increased and she looks uncomfortable. I. Do o fear this could be a cardiac event as opposed to an injury.
I would bring food to her and make sure there is a low sided litterpan within reach for her.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What concerns me and did in your video as well, is that your cats respirations are increased and she looks uncomfortable. I. Do o fear this could be a cardiac event as opposed to an injury.
I would bring food to her and make sure there is a low sided litterpan within reach for her.
I've been in contact with my vet and he doesn't think it's an emergency. I'm taking her in first thing in the morning. I've just been feeling so bad all day. I got her a small litter box and she now wants to stay there cause it's low to the ground. She doesn't want me to carry her so i think its one of her legs that she hurt. She let's me touch her paws but doesn't want her legs touched.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: they don't see any broken bones. They can tell she's in pain so they told me to rest her for a couple of weeks. Trying to figure out how to do that because we're stuck in one room together. I don't want to take away the tree from my other cat cause she needs the exercise. I don't know if i should keep elsa in a crate for a couple of weeks. I have a tunnel i use for my car. It fits a cat bed and a litter box. The last time i tried that she freaked out.