Cat won't use litter box

DeeGee757

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am at wit's end. Mamaseta is a feral barn cat @ 4yrs old. She choose my window well to have 2 kittens. Barn owner attempted to bring her back but she was having none of that & "ran away" to a wood pile where they lived summer into fall. Fed them when I would go for walk. Freezing cold weather hit & I trapped them and brought them into my home with understanding a local rescue would help me re-home them. Utter failure. They are perm family members. A few months ago Mama all of sudden stopped using litter box when she peed and instead picked a rug to do her liquid business. I have 4 litter boxes! She's a sweetheart but it's driving me crazy with the sudden step into a wet spot, the constant cleaning, and of course the smell. They are all fixed and of course Mama is the only one who hasn't seen the doc ( please don't judge, times are tough. I am saving up to get her there) I was thinking it was a behavioral issue? Any suggestions or am I going to be on a Mac & cheese diet to get her there sooner? (Sorry this post is so long)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe she has decided she doesn't like the litter you use. Change one litter box, try sand or earth, even newspaper.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long did she use a litter box before stopping? Have you tried dr Elsey’s cat attract?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have a bladder infection and need to see a vet for a shot of antibiotics. You cannot treat this on your own. She is probably in pain and associates the litterbox with "it burns when I pee". Once she has been treated you may have to retrain her to use the box.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let us know if this is still happening, or if you've been able to get her seen by her vet!

KittyCam

Stray cats and pet cats handler
Kitten
Purraise
If she is still urinating outside of the litter box, I have some suggestions and questions for you.

1. What brand of litter are you using? Do you have other cats that use these litter boxes with no problem?

2. Tip: I tried this with my cat and it worked. I put a few of my cat's favorite treats around the litter box and this caused my cat to stick to the litter box more often.

3. Back to the litter thing. Try using a different litter as a small experiment.

Please update me and tell me if your cat is still not using the litter box.