Cat Wont Use Litter Box, Only Tries To Eat The Litter

Nessa95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

I have a beautiful 12 year old siamese cat with breast cancer. She had a very bad incident over memorial weekend that has left her very anemic. I've brought her in to the vet and they said there's nothing they can do for her. Because of being anemic, she WILL NOT STOP TRYING TO EAT HER LITTER. My boyfriend and I bring her potty constantly, but she will not use her litter box, she will ONLY try to eat her litter. Then, she will defecate on my blankets or any clothes i have set out for work. I don't know what to do, because I'm at my wit's end. I have an immune disorder so I can't afford to have this keep happening. It's just not good for my health.

Is there anything I can do to get her to stop eating litter and finally using her litter box again? My vets aren't being much for help, so I'm desperate.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry your baby has cancer.

What is the vet's reasoning for NOT treating her anemia? I would seek out another vet, perhaps one who is cat-only or specializes in oncology. If they are not suggesting she is close to death, there is no reason why they can't give her something to help out.

She is likely not using the litter box since she doesn't want to 'taint' it from being edible.

You can try other forms of litter - preferably at a minimum non-clumping as that is not as dangerous for her to eat.

You probably should also get a couple of more litter boxes. Perhaps, then she will use a couple of them to pee/poop in and one of them to eat litter from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nessa95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been to two different vets in my area. They said that a blood transfusion wouldn't be worth it, since she would be at risk or something. I've asked about any food or any supplements we can try to help, but they said no. "She has to build up her red blood cells, and it could take up to 2 weeks for a healthy/normal cat". I've read that there's supplements that can be given orally and through injection that could help, but nothing has been suggested.

I will try a different type of litter for sure. She currently has two separate litter boxes, and no matter which one it is, she tries to eat out of both of them. When I change her litter, do I just let her eat it? We have been stopping her every time she tries to.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would still continue to move her away from the litter when she tries to eat it.

In the meantime, you could try feeding her food with liver in it, or any other foods that are rich in iron and B vitamins. Just make sure the vet sees no harm in doing so, and then start her slowing on these foods maybe mixing a bit of it with her 'regular' food. That is just in case a drastic change in food could cause her stomach/digestive issues. Sardines, salmon, and even eggs contain high iron levels. So, perhaps you could add some of these to her regular diet as well.

You might also ask the vet what would be wrong/harmful by giving her a Vitamin B12 shot, as they could help as well.

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Swheat Scoop is all natural. It clumps naturally, but I think, if a cat were to ingest it, it wouldn't stick to the cat's inners. That's why I use it for my cats, after extensive research.

In my experience (and being the animal psychic I am ;)), cats eat litter to help them push the waste out of their bowels. (Outdoor cats will lick dirt, or sand, for the same reason.) I usually see this in sick cats, or baby kittens that are pooping for the first times. Since your cat is sick/anemic, that might be the reason.

Too, when cats get mad, or want to "send a message", they might "dump" in a bed, or elsewhere. That anger might be because you're not letting her eat the litter, which she feels she needs; or, the message might be "I'm sick, please help".

I would get a litter -- actually, perhaps, two -- that are absent artificial chemicals. (I say "two" because you might want to try a couple, to see which one she likes, uses.)

Also, I'd suggest those foods that FeebysOwner suggested... maybe, a little whole milk... cheese, as treats, too. I'd definitely give my cat an all-natural diet, if it had cancer. (I try to give my cats all-natural diets to prevent cancer.... hopefully.)

And, show her love. Talk to her, tell her that you're trying to help, etc. Share your heart. Cats understand more than you think. (.... in my opinion.)

I wish you the best. Update us, if you can.