Cat won’t stop meowing

Of210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I am looking for help with my 1 year old DSH cat. I adopted him around 6 months ago and for the first couple of month everything was fine. Slowly he stated getting more aggressive and more loud to the point now that he will often meow constantly for a few hours when I get home. At night he will sit outside my door and meow until I let him in. I’m not sure what to do but wonder if it could be due to some form of anxiety (I am out at work most of the day). I have tried leaving the radio and TV on when I leave and filling the house with toys. Any ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Oliver

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If you work all day, he’s probably meowing at night because he doesn’t want to be separated from you when he knows you’re home. Also sounds like he’s under-stimulated. How much do you play with him when you get home? Playing actively with a wand toy for a total 30 minutes to an hour before his evening meal and before bed should tire him out enough to let you sleep in peace. Will also help relieve the ‘aggression’ — he’s just bored, and trying to engage you into play.

Does he bother you while you’re trying to sleep? Or is there some other reason you don’t want him in your bedroom?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Of210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Maurey, thanks for your reply. I would prefer to have him in the room but he tends to wake me up around 4am most nights so sometimes leave him outside the room. Do you have good suggestions of wand toys I could use?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Bird and Pet Fit for Life tend to be popular choices, as you can replace the attachments, rather than replacing the entire toy. Cat dancers are also popular. Depends on what your cat likes, really. Both of mine go crazy for feather attachments :>

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ther are plenty out there just make sure all bells or small bits that can be bitten off are not present or cut off to prevent chocking or blockages from being swallowed dont leave them out unsupervised either you dont wanna get home from work etc to find out your cat hung itself from the string/wire on the cat wand toy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you have some cat perches and/or cat trees (preferably with windows nearby to look out)? Sometimes that will help to entertain a cat who is home alone. Also, instead of the radio or TV, you might consider trying cat music - David Teie's Music for Cats which is on Prime and Spotify, Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, and RelaxMyCat. Members on this site swear by it for helping to calm a cat! Ticking clocks and heartbeat toys might be another option to try. There are also automated toys you could look into to help entertain him while you are at work.

I don't know what your feeding schedule is, or if you leave food out for him at night, but if you think he is waking you up at that time in the morning because he is hungry, you could get a timed feeder that would open up just before the time he usually starts to bug you. They have timed feeders for both dry and canned foods. You could actually put that in your room, as some of them don't make a lot of noise, but just enough for your cat to hear it open.

I'd be curious to know if he is meowing throughout the day as well. A relatively inexpensive baby cam could be set up so you could check out what is happening when you aren't home.