cat won't stop meowing at roommate's door

zimothy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it's driving all of us out of our minds.

he's 11 months old (i have another boy who is 10mos who doesn't do this) and every night when they go to bed he will make the little prrp noises and then yowl incessantly at their door. they keep it open in the daytime but at night they close it so my cats don't bother them because charmander will sit on their chests and meow at them to pet him when they're asleep and i feel bad because he's my cat but he keeps seeking attention from them. 

they left their door open a couple of times but it kind of frustrates me because they go to bed hours before I do and due to our conflicting schedules and me working full time and am interning full time, sometimes it's only at night that I can really spend time with my cats. 

i know that i give them both as much attention as i can. charmander sleeps on top of me all the time. it's just that he won't shut the **** up for at least an hour at night when they close their door.  

and my bedroom door is open the entire time.

the only way i can get him to sometimes shut up is if i call him into my room and sometimes he comes for snuggles, but he inevitably goes back to their door to whine some more.

i need him to stop because i am exhausted enough with my job and ****, i don't need my ******* cat waking me up at 4 in the morning because he wants in my roomie's room.

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, you have described the solution, it's just that you are not happy with it. Apparently they stop  meowing if the doors are open and they can decide themselves where they would like to sleep and when. I think the problem is rather that you would like to spend time with your cats when you are ready, which not necessarily matches the schedule and preferences of your cats.

I think you can be glad that you have great roommates who are accepting your cats and would let them even sleep in their rooms.  Cats like to decide themselves where, when and with whom they sleep. You won't change that. If they prefer to sleep in your roommates's room then this is what it is. 

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a product that I fortunately didn't have to use called SScat. (they sell it at pet smart) which lets out a puff of air in response to movement.  I was considering putting it on my door to keep my cat away -- it apparently scares the cat away.  That might work.

What worked for me was something similar. I had a coin can that I used when my cat was doing something I didn't want him to do. So for a few nights I used the can to make noise each time he meowed and he got the message that meowing wasn't something to do.  Now he doesn't meow at night.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
why don't you keep your kitties in your room with you and shut your bedroom door once your room mates have gone to bed? 

it will keep kitty inside. and slowly he will learn that its bedtime and he has to be in "his place" which is your room. 

reward him with treats for being QUIET and staying in your room. if he meows, distract him with some play. invest in some cat want toys, those are THE BEST and all cats love them (if you don't already have it)

I know how difficult it is it have a full time job, and have to do so many things, to come home and try to give your pets the proper attention they deserve, but make the effort. your kitty is getting the attention he craves from others in the house, that's why he prefers to sleep with them. something to think about. i agree with @shaheena  in the sense that yes, your cat will sleep where it wants, but you can train your kitty to want to be in your room, and to want to be with you. 

i live with room mates too. one of my room mates (my best friend) she's really cool with the cats (i also have two) roaming out the house doing whatever during the day. sometimes she'll watch them for me while i'm at work (we have diff work schedules). my other room mate is a weirdo. doesn't want to see my cats any where. so i keep them away from her area of the house. however at night, they are both in my room. regardless of if i'm going to bed, or if anyone else is sleeping. they know that at a certain time, its time to stay with mommy. and they don't bother me to go out of the bedroom. i usually play with them for about 30 mins before i bring them dinner (i stop playing when they are both tired, on their sides, and panting and just CAN'T play anymore lol). after dinner they just go into my room on their own, and start to groom themselves and hunker down. maybe you might want to try a heavy play session, followed by a yummy meal of wet cat food before you go to bed, or before your room mates go to bed. kitty will be too tired to stay up and meow for your room mates! lol

another thing i do to get both of my cats in my room if they are roaming around, i have a treat bag for them, and i just sit in my room and shake it. they both come running. no matter where they are, they will come running and be there in less than a second. i give them treats, i close the door, and they just chill out. maybe try implementing something like that. but you have GOT to train them to be with you at night and in your room. good luck.