Cat won't settle after being introduced to new environment and being taken back home

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't keep this short because I need to explain the situation.

First, I don't live in a 1st world country so any and all commodities like Pheromons and such would take a long time to arrive as they're not available here.

Now on with the problem.
On the 28th we're supposed to get the windows to our condo/apartment replaced, we don't want to but they haven't been replaced in 40 years and they REALLY need a replacement. For that, we're going to have to temporary move the cats in the apartment next door at my aunt's. In order for the process to be less stressful we've been slowly introducing all 4 cats, all together to the new environment over the past week.
The Persians immediately took to the new apartment and there were no problems whatsoever with them as they weren't COVID kittens and were properly socialized. In fact they just act like they're going to a different room of the same house.
This however was not and is not the case with Spaska, my non persian whom we took in at less than 3 weeks old June of 2021. Now I've talked about her a lot here guys and she was an exceptionally difficult kitten to raise, first because she was abandoned at such a young age second because she is a tortie. But she did grow up to be a model cat, as much as a tortie can be. :)
So at my aunt's Spaska was EXCEPTIONALLY STRESSED, she normally bites for no reason at all, usually when she is happy and showing affection, there she'd just keep her tail tucked below her legs, keep meowing if left alone and not so much as a bite out of her while the persians were enjoying the new place, eating, drinking, playing and exploring.
5 days in and she is not improving but at least as soon as we'd bring her back home she'd resume being her usual happy, playful self.

Well there is one major problem with Spaska she's had since she was a kitten, she has a pathological fear of closed doors, fortunately we don't close doors in our house except the bathroom so this is a nonissue. Until now, she never really perceived the entrance door to the apartment as a door so she didn't mind it.
Well, now I did the stupid thing of letting her walk in on her own and she understood that hey, it's a door.

Since 8PM it's 2:25AM now she has been yowling at the door trying to get it to open, we can't do this as Mila, the mom persian storms out as soon as its open, sure we're in a building but these are indoor cats and ow Spaska won't settle because this blasted door is closed on her.
She eats, drinks, even plays but she keeps coming back to the door and screams at it now. Normally she sleeps through the night with the rest of the cats, now she's been so stressed she's been doing this for hours on end.
She doesn't seem scared of being at my aunt's, she just hates the door being closed as she does with ALL closed doors.

I figured she'd tire herself out by now but no
she played with her toys, chased the other cats around and its back to the door no sleep no rest if she isn't at the door she is just all over the place pacing around and what not, she is a hyper cat in general but this isn't her typical behavior.
She was fine making short visits to my aunt's until today :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3:10AM no sign of settling down
she did take a 5min nap and that was it, this is very bad and very odd.
It appears like she is playing but this is neither common nor normal for her or any of my cats.
At least she isn't screaming at the door at the moment she is "chasing" some ball for which she somehow still has the energy

I'm at a complete loss, this is insanity
good thing I pull allnighters anyway because I work/draw so it's whatever I was going to stay up anyways but this isn't normal for her

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was at my aunt's for 10 minutes today
all this over a 10 minute visit, with me there no less and everything
Yesterday we just popped in, 2 mins, that was it

the day before she didn't go as to not get too stressed
on Saturday I think we were there for an hour and a half, the other cats absolutely loved it/acted normal, but Spaska showed no reaction to it after coming home.

I'd cancel the windows renovation but we absolutely must do it as these old windows are falling apart and we've been postponing it for years now as to not stress the cats.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally, she settled at around 3:40AM so she's been sleeping or just chilling for 20 minutes now.
she will be screaming at the door again in a few hours tho, but as long as that's all she does and doesn't act weird in the process it'll be fine, tho somehow I have a feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She does sound like a challenge. First, I would give up on trying to have her get used to the temporary apartment by bringing her for visits. It just stresses her over and over so I would stop doing it and wait until you need to transfer her there.

If possible when she has to be moved to the new place I would try to get a good, long play session every day so that she is not only distracted but also wears herself out. If you have catnip available I would give her as much as she wants. It will help calm her down and hopefully sleep.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I think you are right, we should stop the visits for now, such a shame the other cats are genuinely having a good time there.
Catnip isn't something I'd risk as I think Jackson Galaxy once suggested it's probably not a good idea to give a trotie catnap and she is a very hyperactive and specific cat with tortitude to spare :)
Play sessions are definitely a must of course.

I'm worried tho
all 4 of my cats are used to construction as in my country there's always someone renovating something in these apartment buildings so they don't mind the noise, but they might in a new environment, especially Spaska given how she behaves.

From what I was told by the company we're going to need 4 to 7 6-8 hour cat free days, maybe more.
- One day for them to remove the old wooden windows and fit in the new ones, if all goes well given how old these windows are.
- Another for them to do some finishing touches and paint around the windows, so we can't just let the cats back in before the paint dries
- Here's hoping the weather cools off by then as we won't be able to open the windows until screens and blinds are fitted placed, if all goes well this will be done on the 3rd day and 4th day or maybe even a few days after the windows have been installed.

We do plan on bringing the cats back home once the workers leave because my aunt can't live/sleep with the cats there, she just isn't the type of person who can live with animals even tho she does love them.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kala_vs_Spaska_001 - Copy.jpg

Kala, left and Spaska, right gaming together :)
My cats get along so so so well and I don't want this to ruin our perfect life, I feel after the windows thing Spaska might develop PTSD :( I just don't want us to lose this harmony

IMG_4.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all beautiful. I would not worry about catnip. All of my cats, including several torti’s have done just fine with it.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, fortunately Spaska is back to normal today so here's hoping for the best.
I'm not taking anyone to my aunt's today