Cat Won't Open His Eyes

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a one year old cat, Charlie. After a few days, I noticed that he had discharge coming from his eyes, so yesterday we went to the vet. She gave him an antibiotic shot and I have a small tube of cream to put in his eyes 3 times a day. He's had 4 doses of the cream but now he won't open his eyes at all. They don't seem to be stuck together. I can't tell whether they are swollen shut or if he's just upset about the application of the medicine and is trying to avoid it. My vet is closed today and tomorrow, so I am really concerned.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
His eyes are probably swollen shut. Usually the advice for major eye issues is to get cats into the clinic ASAP. Is there a clinic near you open now? An emergency vet? You don't have to go to your regular vet. It's hard to tell from over the Internet, but it could be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic/cream. A cat wouldn't think strategically like that, trying to keep his eyes close 24/7 so that you couldn't put the cream in.

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there anyway you could post pictures of what your kitties eyes look like? I'd also definitely advise trying to find somewhere else to take him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzan30

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. We went to the emergency vet this morning. It seems that Charlie was allergic to something in the ointment he was prescribed, and because his eyes were irritated, he scratched/rubbed them, causing superficial ulcers in both eyes. The vet washed out his eyes, prescribed different drops, a cone and some pain killers. He seems a bit better. He is a really sweetie and purrs when petted even though he looks completely miserable.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad Charlie is on the right track again. Things should start getting better soon! Be sure to let us know how things go.