Cat Won't Look In Litter Box Anymore

Anguhluh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a 5 year old neutered male cat. He was always a well behaved cat too. He never pooped outside of the box before and I was cat sitting for a friend for 8 weeks who was a spayed elderly cat. She did not like my cat and would hiss every time he walked by. She was becoming a problem. Peeing and pooping all over the house. And then finally she went home. Now my cat won't poop on the litter box anymore. He is not they dominant type. He never has been. And he has lived with other cats just fine before years ago. I've tried to re train him and show him the litter box, I even bought a brand new one to see of it was her scent he didn't like. It's as if he is afraid of the box, when I go to take him to the box he gets so scared and jumps out of my hands. Before I take him to the vet, i just wanted peoples thoughts kn what it night be and what can I do to help him use it again?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats communicate by sent as well as sight and sound. The visiting cat left its scent everywhere so even though it is gone your cat is still smelling it as being there. For all he knows its going to jump out from behind the furniture at any time. It is probably going to take a while for your cat to realize that the other one is gone. I am not completely sure just how to change things but for a start I would get one of the urine sent killers and spray it everywhere the other cat made a mess. Also wash any blankets or sheets the other cat laid on. Don't try and use an air freshener as that will not take away the scent of the other cat. Something that might work really good would be an Ozone machine. Those are used to neutralize the smell from smoke and fires. They produce a form of oxygen molecule that binds with things like smells and actually neutralizes them. Cleaning companies use them all the time. It might be able to neutralize the smell of the other cat. But if they set it up you and all the other living things like your cat need to stay out of where it is running since its really bad for your health. Once the machine is off all the ozone goes away and leaves no trace behind so its not like a poison, its a chemical reactant. I have no idea if you can get something like that where you are but it is something I would try.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you clean the spots where the other cat peed and pooped with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anguhluh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not tried the neutralized sprays I will try that! I had already washed all blankets and sheets when the visiting cat left. I do have a vet appointment on Friday because he is starting to get diarrhea now! I don't know if it's related to the visit cat but now I'm cleaning up very messy messes from him! I will try the neutralizing spray though for sure

Anguhluh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much this is already helping me understand a little better

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not tried the neutralized sprays I will try that! I had already washed all blankets and sheets when the visiting cat left. I do have a vet appointment on Friday because he is starting to get diarrhea now! I don't know if it's related to the visit cat but now I'm cleaning up very messy messes from him! I will try the neutralizing spray though for sure
His new problem might be from stress or it could be something more serious.
At this point if I were you I would I would isolate him in just one room, something with hard floors would help you out. Basically it would be like an infirmary. That would accomplish several things. It would make things easier on you obviously, but being in a smaller secure space for him would help reduce his stress. When I had trouble reintroducing my daughters cats back into the group I ended up isolation them in a small bathroom until they calmed down. It gave them a safe space that was all their own.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add to try removing the litter box lid while he is isolated. Maybe next time keep the intruder locked in one room? My punk harasses my peach guy and sniffs him ... while my peach guy is using the litter box. Seeing your cat looking all fearful with half his body hanging out of the litter box prompts you to take action. I solved the issue by removing the lid from the litter box.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There haven't been to many responses to your dilemma so I am going to be a little presumptuous and give you what I hope will be a plan to get your cat back.
So, i am guessing that you have managed to find a place where you can keep him isolated from the rest of the house. Also you mentioned that he had a vet appointment. That is good also and you may get medications to help with his current problem. Having him in his own room will make it a lot easier to give meds. You mentioned that you had an extra litter box, you should should put both of them in the room with him. Also include something to lay on whatever he used to like, maybe even a shallow box with a blanket or towel and I would take the pillow case from your bed and include it also. Not a fresh one by the way. This way he has your scent there which will be calming to him. And of course include food and water. Now, if he poops on the floor, and hopefully its not just all runny, put it in one of the litter boxes. Keep doing that, and leave it in there until he gets the idea that it is his. He should finally start using it again. Once he actually does, don't clean it out. If he is using both then clean out only one and leave the other one. Then switch so he has at least one box with his stuff in it all the time. My guess is that in less than a week he will not want to be staying in there in the room anymore. By the way you should be visiting him often but not to much. Another thing you want is for him to miss contact with you a little so your visiting is a reward. Finally after it looks like he is wanting out and he is using the boxes, take one box, without cleaning it out, and move it outside the room and then leave the door open. This way he will have a safe place he can return to if he gets upset but can now explore his house. And with his used litter box out there it should give him confidence that he can use it without dying or being attacked. I would keep feeding him in his room for a week more until it looks like he has taken back his house. It should work, but as in all things there are no guarantees.

Anguhluh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That seems like a great plan I will try it for sure! I'll start in the morning but I don't really have a room that doesn't have carpet for him to poop on. I've accepted that fact that I'll have to clean up his runny poops until I get this under control. You seem to really know your cat behaviors thank you so so much I appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

irenechennia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps your cat needs reassurance. The presence of the new cat must have triggered some level of envy and made it wonder if the other cat's behavior had made her enjoy more attention.
They are some litter boxes here for those who would need one for themselves.