Cat won't let me sleep in my bed.

mwac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my cat Molly since she was 8 weeks old, she is now 4 years old. Up until about 1.5 years ago she slept through the night no problem, then she started clawing the end of the bed. She will continue to claw and scratch the underside of the bed until eventually I leave the bedroom and sleep on the living room couch. I've tried a million ways to stop her, but nothing works except leaving the bed. She's perfectly fine when I'm out there, and will sleep on the back of the couch all night.

I need some advice please!

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried not having her sleep in your room with you? I lock 2 of my cats in another bedroom while the other roams the house with a pet gate in front of my room so she can't get to my room and scratch at the carpet or door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mwac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply. We've tried locking her out of the room for the night, and she completely destroyed the carpet outside of the room. She seems to enjoy being sprayed by the water bottle, and feeding her later doesn't help either. I'm at a loss.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
why are you leaving the bedroom? have you tried putting a cat bed under the bed? I would think that would work...unless there is a hole in your boxspring. Then just make it bigger so she can get in it. problem solved

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try putting a gate up surrounding your room then she won't scratch the carpet under the door. if that doesn't work, here's link to a site that sells carpet protectors made just for cats who scratch carpets.     www.carpetscratchstopper.com   I bought them and they have saved my brand new carpet as much as they could after my cat already got to it. hope something helps

aoi chan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tired her out by playing with her before you guys go to bed? 5 to 10 minutes of solid play might help.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Have you ever tried not having her sleep in your room with you? I lock 2 of my cats in another bedroom while the other roams the house with a pet gate in front of my room so she can't get to my room and scratch at the carpet or door.
why do you lock them up? cats play/exercise at night.

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I can sleep at night lol. I put them into my spare bedroom, that is dedicated to cats and only cats and everything they could ever ask for. Toys, cat trees, beds, food, scratchers, shelves so they can get on and run around the walls and a nice big window to watch the nightlife. They spend a lot of time in there even when they can roam around the house, which is also filled with toys, scratchers and cat trees lol. They live the life :)

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so your third cat is away from her friends every night? do they not get along?

just curious...yellow

Last edited:

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 3rd cat is elderly, she'll be 13 in a couple months and my other cats are under 2years and they like to play, a lot and my older cat isn't in the mood to be attacked all night lol. She has to deal with them all day so I give her some time off from them cause I think she deserves it :)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've had my cat Molly since she was 8 weeks old, she is now 4 years old. Up until about 1.5 years ago she slept through the night no problem, then she started clawing the end of the bed. She will continue to claw and scratch the underside of the bed until eventually I leave the bedroom and sleep on the living room couch. I've tried a million ways to stop her, but nothing works except leaving the bed. She's perfectly fine when I'm out there, and will sleep on the back of the couch all night.

i've read this on some other threads, and maybe this could help you.

you can buy a cat bed for your kitty, something very comfy, and maybe put a pillow in there, something from your bed, or something with your scent on it. purchase a cat bed warmer, its like a heating pad (can be found on amazon) and keep that in your kitties bed, and she will NEVER want to come on your bed again!! lolololll. its worth a try!

So I can sleep at night lol. I put them into my spare bedroom, that is dedicated to cats and only cats and everything they could ever ask for. Toys, cat trees, beds, food, scratchers, shelves so they can get on and run around the walls and a nice big window to watch the nightlife. They spend a lot of time in there even when they can roam around the house, which is also filled with toys, scratchers and cat trees lol. They live the life :)
WOW your cats are living the life!!! I have two kitties, and I live with room mates, so at night time they are shut into my bedroom with me. unfortunately that means I lose out on sleep sometimes..but i'd hate to have them crated all night.

so your third cat is away from her friends every night? do they not get along?

just curious...yellow

@mycatwasthebest  woah...whats with the interrogation? sounds like @jmljml19  is doing what works for them and their kitties. maybe 3rd kitty prefers to be the lone ranger. I don't think keeping kitties in a room just for over night is horrendous. in fact if i lived in my own house/apartment, I would probably do that same, just to ensure their safety, and make sure they have everything they need in one place. but that's just my opinion.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, how annoying for you! One of my cats does her nails on the side of the bed and it drives me crazy! Have you tried blocking off her access to under the bed to see what she does? Where she decides to go and what she does when she cannot get into her spot may give you a hint as to what would make her happy/keep her occupied while you are in bed.

Last edited:

MarieMolly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hello there

I know your post is from a few years ago but I wondered if you ever solved your problem? I too have a cat called Molly and I have recently purchased a zed bed which I put up every night ready for moving into around 2-3am when Molly decides she no longer wants me in the bed!! She won't leave me alone until I leave the bed and go downstairs to my zed bed. She then snuggled back down in the double bed!! I can't lock her out as she is 18 now and has slept next to me on the bed for all those years, it would not be fair to lock her out especially as she now has dementia, it would make her even more confused! I could not believe there was anyone else out there as soft as me until I read your post!!