Cat won't go to his cat food by his self

MA LESTER

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old cat won't go and eat his cat food by his self instead he walks from the living room to the bed room to wake me up so I get up and walk him back into the living room to where his cat food is then he will eat it does anyone know why he does it

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this a new behavior or has he always done this? If it is something new then perhaps a bit of senior dementia starting. I would try leaving a light on for him since vision can worsen as cats age and make sure you are discussing it with his vet.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, it's not about the food but more to do with the fussing associated with feeding time.

Casper wants to be fussed over at his feeding times.

Casper's Girl-Human feeds him, most often, and when she does, she always talks to him and makes a fuss over him while she's getting his food ready. When she puts the food down, she pets him, talks to him and fusses until he starts to eat.

When I make Casper's food for him, I use the exact same dishes, the exact same food from the same container but, when I put it down for him, all he does is sniff and walk away. I often get a look from Casper that seems to say, "But...you don't do it like Mom does!" ;)

Maybe your cat is the same? Maybe he likes being fussed over at feeding time. :dunno:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
It was the first thing I thought of: cats like the FUSS. I have sometimes given up as to why cats do the things they do…Fiona’s mom is on to something there if this new behavior. My boy is a senior now & he definitely likes things a certain way, on the dot…I think for him it’s reassuring.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's so common that it's called 'companion feeding'. It's a great sign of trust. As your cat gets older and less limber, they cannot get away from predators as well. Naturally, they want your protection/company for eating.

It can be a sign of minor illness (they don't feel well or are stressed so want you there). If there's been some changes in your home then that can be why. We have a nervous cat who's always done this, so we just bring his food bowl to our bedroom at night.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat maggie will not eat unless I'm there. It could be all the vet visits she's had
Also eating in my bedroom has become a habit. My cat peaches steals her food so I lock her in the bathroom.
Maggie has trouble eating hearing Coco eat her food in the kitchen.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
To ease your mind, you may have to bring your cat to the vet just to check.

But one of my cats does it too. I bring her food bowl to her bed and that is where she prefers to eat. Or, she just sniffs the food, walks to someplace else in the house, and expects me to follow her and bring her the food. Otherwise, she'd stare at me from where she is with the look that is both amusing and scary.

cats are sometimes just being a diva.

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so common that it's called 'companion feeding'. It's a great sign of trust. As your cat gets older and less limber, they cannot get away from predators as well. Naturally, they want your protection/company for eating.

It can be a sign of minor illness (they don't feel well or are stressed so want you there). If there's been some changes in your home then that can be why. We have a nervous cat who's always done this, so we just bring his food bowl to our bedroom at night.
My friend has a cat who likes to be watched for this reason and will call my friend to come to her feeding area before eating.

For OP, if this is a new behaviour though, as others have said, it would be good to check in with a vet.