Cat wont eat wet food

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 or 2 year old cat guessing the age that i picked up from a farm house when she was around 6 months old, shes only ever been fed dry food. I've been trying to lay out more wet food but the kitty only eats about half a small can then let's the rest go to wast. I've been trying different brands but she always goes for the dry food so I stopped buying wet. Can cats be healthy on dry only? I have noticed a couple times shes had yellow stools before from missed litter box. Though rarely only twice now that I've had her. I'm unsure if it's from the diet but she acts perfectly normal after stop is released like I said that's only happened twice in the year that I've had her. Definitely need to get her to a vet but thought I'd ask opinions.

nancyjoel123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried mixing (mixing thoroughly, not just topping) a spoon or two of wet food into her dry food? That’s what I am doing for my new kitty, and it seems to be working. I started with a couple spoons of wet food and increased the amount of wet food each day while decreasing the amount of dry food. She was also a stray.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once cats get used to dry food, it's sometimes hard to switch them over, particularly if dry food is still offered to them. But whether of not it's unhealthy to feed them dry is in the eye of the beholder. Ask ten people and you will get ten different answers. Many cats live to their twenties on dry food only. Many cats live to their twenties on wet food only. Who knows why. Personally, I feed only wet because when I was feeding dry food I had three cats who developed chronic kidney disease. Is there a correlation? I think so, but cannot prove it. Am I alone in my thoughts? No, but again, no one can say for certain (that I know of). Would I condemn you if you fed only dry food? No.

maybe there is something here that will help you make the switch: Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yellow feces outside the box could be bile or related to the liver if there is not dyes in her food. If it's just the odd time and no other symptoms I wouldn't be too worried.

Many cats do fine on dry food provided its a decent quality one.

Last edited: