Cat Won’t Eat ....scared

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, that is a good sign - I think the mirtazapine makes them thirsty. It definitely made my girl more relaxed and affectionate. It's funny, vet said it can cause anxiety, but for her, it made her more docile. Sounds like the same thing is happening with Leo. This is good....means meds are kicking in....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He ate about 5 treats (took a long time and they kinda fall out of his mouth) and groomed himself a bit (hasn’t been doing that as much since this all started)..maybe some progress?

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say so! It is not much, but he is showing an interest in food. :sunshine:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He ate about 5 treats (took a long time and they kinda fall out of his mouth) and groomed himself a bit (hasn’t been doing that as much since this all started)..maybe some progress?
Sometimes mine will eat if I sit there and gently pet them, head to tail or neck to croup, depending on what they like. Sometimes this helps them kick in.
So sorry! I know this is scary and frustrating. I'd be upset if my vet wrote this issue off as nothing =/

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keep us posted! And whatever happens, don't panic. If the mirtazpine does not work (although, it sounds like it has started to take effect), there are other things vet can give you.

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks ☺ the treat eating was short lived but he’s trying to sleep (sleeping w his head down which he doesn’t normally do so think he might be in pain, going to give him pain med soon and prob take him to vet (new one) tomorrow - looked up pancreatitis and sounds like him? Will keep you posted!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks ☺ the treat eating was short lived but he’s trying to sleep (sleeping w his head down which he doesn’t normally do so think he might be in pain, going to give him pain med soon and prob take him to vet (new one) tomorrow - looked up pancreatitis and sounds like him? Will keep you posted!
If you're concerned about pancreatitis, be forthright at the vets and tell them (don't ask!) that you want your cat tested, period.
Best of luck. Pancreatitis can be really nasty but once it's under control a low fat diet is your best bet.
Hoping for a good update tomorrow.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, hoping for the best for little Leo tomorrow! Maybe he will get hungry during the night...:purr:
:bigeyes: :blackcat2:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, hoping for the best for little Leo tomorrow! Maybe he will get hungry during the night...:purr:
Here's hoping!!!
If not, pancreatitis might be something worth looking into. If you see a new vet, be kind and courteous but very firm in the fact your cat has seen other vets that are writing this off as nothing and you're demanding some work to be done to find out what the cause is so it can be treated.

I hate confrontation and would door-mat out to avoid it if possible, but when it comes to a sick pet that's seen other vets with no answers and a flippant response from those vets, I become a bear with anyone who feels an otherwise healthy pet that hasn't eaten but a few mouthfuls in the past week is "normal". I believe in courtesy and being polite, but eventually something has to give if we're being blown off like we've being over protective. If, on a Sunday night, my cat hadn't eaten but a few bites since Tuesday I'd be in a blind rage at any vet who passed this off as "normal" or a "picky cat".

Pancreatitis can become serious if left untreated for too long, so I say good on the OP for suspecting this as a possibility. =)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, as a side note...
we're pretty sure we had a pupper with pancreatitis that went un-diagnosed. This hog of a dog never really lost his appetite but threw up a lot, had diarrhea a few times and generally had no energy. He was unable to complete his training season and any sort of trialing or work was out of the question. He DID improve with a low fat diet with added MCT's, but that took a few months, with a lot of rest and regimented exercise at low-key speeds/intensity.
For a dog, MCT oils like coconut oil are great for pancreas problems, and keeping his diet on the lower fat side of raw with the addition of coconut oil did help.
I am not up to speed on the additions of MCT oils (like coconut oilO) for cats; I know in some cases, it's not ideal, but if Leo IS suffering from pancreatitis I would strongly suggest making a post in the cat nutrition forums and asking for advice. IIRC MCT's by-pass some digestive stuff that adds fat to the diet while giving the pancreas a rest. Others that hang out mostly on the nutrition forum would probably have a lot of really, really good ideas if his issues are pancreatic in nature.
((Hugs))

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww love the emojis :-) I have some good news, he did eat a little today, even some dry and treats plus some wet ☺ I think all the warm wishes are coming his way - thanks so much!

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leo update he ate more at dinner tonite including some treats - the thoughts and prayers are working, thanks so much everyone The blood results for pancreatitis come in tomorrow, will let you know if that was the cause, as it will be good to share this info for others to leverage - we gave him appetite stimulant + prednisolone (my other cat pele is taking that) and not sure which is doing the job but seeing him actually come downstairs to eat was encouraging today!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leo update he ate more at dinner tonite including some treats - the thoughts and prayers are working, thanks so much everyone The blood results for pancreatitis come in tomorrow, will let you know if that was the cause, as it will be good to share this info for others to leverage - we gave him appetite stimulant + prednisolone (my other cat pele is taking that) and not sure which is doing the job but seeing him actually come downstairs to eat was encouraging today!
:woo:This is great news!!! I'm so happy he's eating better =)
Please let us know what the pancreatitis test results say. The usual symptoms are just so vague, it will be interesting to see what the results show. :catrub: