Cat Won't Eat At Usual Feeding Location

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My cat is acting a little strange this morning... Her food and water bowl is located in my room and she always has a voracious appetite. She ate very well up until last night, but this morning she didn't wake me up to eat and won't go near her food bowl when I place it in my room. We have this routine where I bring her bowl to the kitchen, scoop her wet food, and she runs to my room to eat. I placed the bowl in a different location and she ate from there just fine. She's usually very hungry in the morning, but she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. Should I change her feeding station location? I even tried cleaning the floor area, but she just sniffs her food and walks away.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am little confused - as long as you place her food somewhere else then she will eat just fine- but, you also said she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite? Much of an appetite when it comes to her 'normal' food location? Assuming her appetite is just fine when the food is placed in a different location, I would go ahead and change her feeding station.

If she is now not eating fine in other locations, she might be getting sick. Check her water intake, her litterbox habits, and other behaviors as well to see if you see any other signs of some sort of issue.

Otherwise, you need to consider something happened in/around her normal feeding location that has discouraged her from eating there. Did she by chance pee in that area? You said you cleaned it but if you did not completely remove the urine smell she may still smell it whether you can or not. Are there any other changes to furniture, flooring, nearby items, even smells (new candle, etc.) that could be affecting her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Oh, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and I were typing at the same time :thumbsup:

How old is your baby?

One or two things might be happening. If she's in the range of about 9 months old, she might be slowing down in her eating just before a growth spurt where she'll eat a lot again for a while.

Or, something scared her in your room, but that doesn't explain why she's having less of an appetite.

I have a couple thoughts, --changing the location of her food and also her water bowls/dishes, (you clean them both daily, so a fresh clean food dish, and fresh clean water and a clean water bowl is utilized each day?) would be good, and even try different heights, where you might have a thick book or a small box that you place the dish and/or bowl onto.

You could possibly try a different brand of food, because pet food manufacturers frequently change the formulas for their foods these days.

Also, I was thinking to provide a meal for her late at night, or even have some kibble out for her overnight, especially if she is under a year or year and a half in age.

However, and I know you will be :), keep an eye on that appetite - it could be an indication of a health issue where a visit to the vet is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I am little confused - as long as you place her food somewhere else then she will eat just fine- but, you also said she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite? Much of an appetite when it comes to her 'normal' food location? Assuming her appetite is just fine when the food is placed in a different location, I would go ahead and change her feeding station.

If she is now not eating fine in other locations, she might be getting sick. Check her water intake, her litterbox habits, and other behaviors as well to see if you see any other signs of some sort of issue.

Otherwise, you need to consider something happened in/around her normal feeding location that has discouraged her from eating there. Did she by chance pee in that area? You said you cleaned it but if you did not completely remove the urine smell she may still smell it whether you can or not. Are there any other changes to furniture, flooring, nearby items, even smells (new candle, etc.) that could be affecting her?
Thank you for the reply! Yes, if I place the food bowl somewhere else she will eat it just fine. It's a little weird because she always comes to me in the morning whining to feed her, but she hasn't done that much this morning. If I bring food to where she's sitting, she'll chomp away. If I place her food in her normal feeding station, she'll sniff it and just walk away.

I don't think she's peed there and nothing new. She ate just fine from there around 11pm last night so I'm not sure what could've happened from then until now. She's done this a couple times, but she always ended up coming back eventually and eating from her usual spot. This morning she won't go near it... I can't figure out why! :( It's driving me nuts.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Oh, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and I were typing at the same time :thumbsup:

How old is your baby?

One or two things might be happening. If she's in the range of about 9 months old, she might be slowing down in her eating just before a growth spurt where she'll eat a lot again for a while.

Or, something scared her in your room, but that doesn't explain why she's having less of an appetite.

I have a couple thoughts, --changing the location of her food and also her water bowls/dishes, (you clean them both daily, so a fresh clean food dish, and fresh clean water and a clean water bowl is utilized each day?) would be good, and even try different heights, where you might have a thick book or a small box that you place the dish and/or bowl onto.

You could possibly try a different brand of food, because pet food manufacturers frequently change the formulas for their foods these days.

Also, I was thinking to provide a meal for her late at night, or even have some kibble out for her overnight, especially if she is under a year or year and a half in age.

However, and I know you will be :), keep an eye on that appetite - it could be an indication of a health issue where a visit to the vet is needed.
Hello, thanks for the reply! She's almost three years old. I clean her water and food bowls everyday and her bowls are elevated so she doesn't need to bend down when she eats. I don't think food is the problem because she ate it just fine until 11pm last night. She only eats wet food and I rotate frequently. I just get worried if one thing seems off :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since you said she has done this before, and eventually went back to her normal feeding location, the odds are she will again. And, I am guessing from your post, there was nothing health related to the previous incidents? What have you done in the past when this happened, changed the location temporarily or tried to give her food in both new and old places? I'd say repeat what you did before (preferably if you tried to continue to feed in both old and new locations).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmm, I tried to get your avatar to enlarge for me - that's her? Is she a big breed?
Some of the big breed cats don't mature until 2, 3 or 3.5 years old, and so it's conceivable that you could be seeing her eating slowing down before growth spurts, and then the growth spurt (even if her body looks adult there's a lot of other "building" going on :)) begins and her eating comes back to being competition to The Hulk.
I found my big fella yells a lot less in the morning when he has something to eat overnight, and he's almost 14.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I tried to get your avatar to enlarge for me - that's her? Is she a big breed?
Some of the big breed cats don't mature until 2, 3 or 3.5 years old, and so it's conceivable that you could be seeing her eating slowing down before growth spurts, and then the growth spurt (even if her body looks adult there's a lot of other "building" going on :)) begins and her eating comes back to being competition to The Hulk.
I found my big fella yells a lot less in the morning when he has something to eat overnight, and he's almost 14.
Yes, that's her! She a domestic medium/long hair :) She's almost three but has a baby face. Hahaha that's how she is every morning! I try to give her a little snack at night so she's not constantly waking me up hehe

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you said she has done this before, and eventually went back to her normal feeding location, the odds are she will again. And, I am guessing from your post, there was nothing health related to the previous incidents? What have you done in the past when this happened, changed the location temporarily or tried to give her food in both new and old places? I'd say repeat what you did before (preferably if you tried to continue to feed in both old and new locations).
I don't believe it was health related. She just gets really picky sometimes! I'm hoping she'll come back to her usual location later in the day..

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just this morning? I wouldn't worry. Maybe it's a hairball. Maybe it's a mood. Maybe it's Cat-urday. Or maybe it's a very common case of "cats are weird!" If it persists for several meals, I would be more concerned.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she’s still a little hesitant eating at her usual station, but she’s eating. It almost seems like shes paranoid and keeps seeing someone in the corner of her eye! Will update you guys!

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's only done this today and ate fine once you moved her food, I wouldn't worry too much. My cat has done strange things like that when she gets a hairball. If it continues for a few days or her appetite worsens, if her litter box habits change, or her activity level decreases it wouldn't be a bad idea to call your vet. Cats are really good at hiding illness and sometimes small things are the only tip-off. Hopefully she is back to normal tomorrow!