Cat Won’t Eat Any Form Of Meat, Unless It’s Canned Wet Food

Michelle010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one year cat refuses to eat any type of meat cooked or uncooked. She will only eat dry food and wet canned food. Even then she’s specific to brand of cat food. I find this odd and am worried she isn’t getting everything she needs. Now she’s not skinny by any means, she’s even a bit over weight. I’ve never had a picky eater, as my other cats devour meat and well anything you put in their bowl. So her behavior is just out of character for my knowledge of cats. So I guess my question is, will she be okay with a non meat diet since she refuses all meats?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meat alone is not sufficient nutrition for cats. Unless you’re knowledgeable and committed to balancing what’s missing from meat alone, you and she are better off with cat food that is already supplemented and balanced for the right nutrients in the correct proportions. If you’re in the United States, it will contain an AAFCO Statement that it is “nutritionally complete for all life stages.” Offering meat by itself should be considered a treat and should make up no more than 10% of her calories.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I guess my question is, will she be okay with a non meat diet since she refuses all meats?
Most dry and canned cat food contains meat of some sort. Inexpensive brands may use by products and meals and such. Higher end brands usually list actual meat like chicken breasts. Look at the ingredient list of the foods you are feeding. Ideally some form of meat should be listed as one of the first 5 or so ingredients.

Some cats may not like cooked or raw meat but will eat canned food that is basically just all meat such as Weruva's Paw Lickin Chicken :rolleyes:

It's perfectly ok for a cat to not like cooked or raw meat:agree: As long as the cat is eating a complete balanced cat food, then the cat is getting all of the necessary vitamins and minerals. Are you in the US? Pet food labels have an AAFCO statement that says if the food is a complete balanced diet or not. Other countries may have something similar. If the food doesn't contain any vitamins or minerals in the ingredient list, it may not be a complete balanced diet and eating it as the only food source will cause nutritional deficiencies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she is eating canned, she should be getting everything she needs. Like stated above, check the ingredients. I give my cats weight loss formula now in the dry food they snack on to reduce their calories a bit. I ahve had many cats in my life that refuse all food except for cat food. They lived normal and happy lives. There is now those 'treats' in pouches that contain almost all meat(some contain broth and a few veggies) One my cats absolutely adore is Whiska's Purrfectly Chicken, slivers of pure chicken in a broth. They go wild for it!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat is almost 10 and won't eat raw or cooked meats either, and I've only found about 6 brands of wet food she'll consistently eat.

Wet canned food as stated should be balanced and appropriate for cats.

Cats can be very picky, that's pretty normal ;)

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat wouldn't be caught dead eating non-cat food. I feed mostly wet canned and some dry. I didn't really see it as a problem.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Cooked meat is only an occasional snack/treat for cats, unless you use ti to make part of a cooked catfood, with a product like U-Stew. Raw meat involves a lot of issues, and is generally not a good idea, unless you've done a lot of research

Good quality wet and dry catfood are an excellent choice