Cat won't come to my room anymore(Any solutions?)

Marliemac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a few months ago my cat was behaving normally then all of a sudden one day he pooped on my bed and tried to cover it up with the blankets. Back then he was having lots of trouble using the litter box,that issue is now solved.But because of that being terrible behavior I scolded him very harshly.Ever since he's been afraid of my room.I'll bring back to my room every now and then and he'll only stay for a few seconds,then dart out the room.
I know the root of the problem but I really want to know how to tell him its ok now and its safe.It just breaks my heart not having a cuddle buddy in my room anymore because of his past mistake.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats react to punishment with fear, that is how they have survived so long as a species. The only way to alleviate this fear is to replace it with something comforting or good. You might bring him in the room and offer him treats, he may refuse at first, but as he is brought in more and more some of the fear will leave. Don't raise your voice, even to call him if he is leaving, convince him it is a safe, good place to be. Sit quietly in the room and ask him to come, offer treats, have a string toy to lure him in. Food is a powerful motivator, offer him favorites and maybe start feeding him near the room and move the dish closer and closer every few days. You want to find something that desensitizes him to being afraid of that room. It will take patience and a long time, but it can be done.

Katie656

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately cats don’t associate being told off with their bad behaviour, as to them their behaviour isn’t meant to be bad. All scolding does is damage the bond between human and cat.
That said what’s done is done and I’m sure that with simple gestures your cat can be reassured that your room is a safe place again.
I would try moving some of your cats things into the room so the room smells of him. Any of his bedding, scratch posts or even a litter tray with which contains some litter out of one of his used trays.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not saying you are doing this, but resist the temptation to try and force it. If you pick the cat up and put him on the bed, that feels uncomfortable to him and makes things worse. So you have to use gradual positive reinforcement as suggested above.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
People usually advise against playing in the bedroom (it becomes a right for the cat to pounce - including on you as you sleep and cats are great lawyers!) but I suggest play. Places my cat shies away become normalized once play started in another room is taken there. The change of association from negative to positive is almost instant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marliemac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the recommendations.I'll do it gradually.
The only thing I can't do is give him food,because my dad restricted me not to bring his food into my room or it'll attract bugs.Even though the food would probably work best I'll try bringing other stuff in like his toys.
I have been guilty of making a fuss when he runs out,so I should stop doing that.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the recommendations.I'll do it gradually.
The only thing I can't do is give him food,because my dad restricted me not to bring his food into my room or it'll attract bugs.Even though the food would probably work best I'll try bringing other stuff in like his toys.
I have been guilty of making a fuss when he runs out,so I should stop doing that.
I dont think cat nip attracts bugs......maybe try a little of that. First give it outside of the bedroom and let him get accustomed to it.