Cat Won’t Come Down The Stairs

catmama85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! My fiancé and I recently bought a new house and all three of our kitties seem to be acclimating well. The only problem is the spiral staircase into the finished basement. We spend a lot of time downstairs since that’s where the TV is. Our youngest, Birdie, loves going up and down and comes to hang out with us often. Our newest adoptee, Pepper, seems content to hang out upstairs on the cat trees. My big boy, Jude, however, will just sit up at the top of the stairs and talk to us but won’t come down! We’ve even carried him down a time or two and he’ll hang out for a bit and he’ll go back up but he won’t venture down on his own. The stairs seemed to me like they’d be a cats dream so what gives? Any ideas? Thanks!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's just a bit more cautious a cat than the others. It wasn't a new house we moved into but it's a similar principle in that we got our Oliver when he was ten years old so it was a new house to him. He started off living upstairs and only after several months did he venture downstairs. It was quite sudden and he took it upon himself to be brave one day. Now he hardly ever goes upstairs except when we go to bed - usually.
Let him adjust at his own pace and, I'm sure you won't, don't force the issue. If you pick him up to bring him downstairs and he starts wriggling then leave him be. His curiosity will win in the end when he sees the fun he's missing.
Just my way of doing things, others may have different ideas.
Have you introduced yourselves on 'New Cats On the Block?' We'd like to see some photos of your little ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmama85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he's just a bit more cautious a cat than the others. It wasn't a new house we moved into but it's a similar principle in that we got our Oliver when he was ten years old so it was a new house to him. He started off living upstairs and only after several months did he venture downstairs. It was quite sudden and he took it upon himself to be brave one day. Now he hardly ever goes upstairs except when we go to bed - usually.
Let him adjust at his own pace and, I'm sure you won't, don't force the issue. If you pick him up to bring him downstairs and he starts wriggling then leave him be. His curiosity will win in the end when he sees the fun he's missing.
Just my way of doing things, others may have different ideas.
Have you introduced yourselves on 'New Cats On the Block?' We'd like to see some photos of your little ones.
Thanks so much! He actually came down a few minutes after I posted this haha. He’s back upstairs meowing at us now but we’re making progress. I think you’re right, we just need to let him do it on his own timeline.

I’ll post some pictures soon!

Salicornia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, i have the same issue with my kitty, i just moved in the new place yesterday. have you found a solution, did your boy manage to get used to the stairs?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hey, i have the same issue with my kitty, i just moved in the new place yesterday. have you found a solution, did your boy manage to get used to the stairs?
It looks like it just took time Salicornia Salicornia :) Welcome to TCS!
This is an old thread so you may not received a reply.