Cat Won't Come Back Inside

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two bonded sibling cats that I adopted when they were 6 months old. They're now about 2 years old. I don't know their history but I suspect they were born feral and perhaps spent a significant time without human interaction and/or were taken from their mother too early. They were a lot of work but are now pretty nice house cats with some quirks, which I love. They are exclusively indoor kitties but are still pretty active and display a lot of hunting play behavior and run around the house chasing each other.

A year ago a door was accidentally left ajar and Navi, the girl got out. She's not the type of cat that comes when called but she is attached to us and likes to cuddle, etc. on her own terms. I was finally able to lure her back inside with some food and she seemed happy to be safe inside again. So it happened again last weekend and she got outside. The door was probably left open in the evening and I didn't realize until the morning. Her brother Link didn't follow her. I didn't even see her until yesterday evening and she's been hiding in a big hedge and I'm pretty sure staying close to the house. Last night I did the same as I did last year - put some food out and left the door ajar to the back room with the rest of the house closed off and I slept out there on the futon couch. I woke to her inside the house but before I realized what was happening she rushed back out. She stopped on the path about 15 feet from the door and we had a little back and forth talk but I couldn't get her to come back in.

So I think she's having a little fun. I'm relieved to know that she's close and that she knows how to get back in. My plan tonight is to leave out something she can't quickly eat or pick up - such as sardine water. Any other thoughts?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed her if your going to be around and can listen for meowing and check outside the doors now and then. Cats are smart enough to know the in and out points and to ask to be let in. Mostly. A day without food won't hurt the cat any but will motivate her to come back. Would be different if this was really dragging out, but no reason to leave food out right away. One of my cats will stay out for up to 18 hours sometimes when the weather is good.

Another tip would be not to try and catch her outside. Just go out there and try and pet her and lure her with treats. That way if she escapes again and you really do need to grab her asap for some reason, better chance she'll allow it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another tip would be not to try and catch her outside. Just go out there and try and pet her and lure her with treats. That way if she escapes again and you really do need to grab her asap for some reason, better chance she'll allow it.
Thanks! Yes, my goal/plan it to be able to lure her inside and shut the door behind her.

There's no way I could catch her outside unless I had a trap. Last year I rented a humane trap and caught a possum. She hates the carrier so I think she'd be reluctant to go in a trap anyway. Outside I've just been talking with her in my friendly "time to eat" voice. She responds so that's a good sign, I think.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah no reason to trap her for sure. This can be really stressful the first few times but cats don't get lost easily. She will go inside without fuss when she is ready. If you are worried, chill on a lawn chair or the steps with a cold drink, and when she comes for a cuddle pick her up. Better it be voluntary as I mentioned, but you don't want to be driven too crazy by this.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same happened to my oldest male about a year ago - he snuck out, and panicked, and hid. Eventually (36hr later) what brought him back was me just gently calling to him from inside, with the door ajar. Took about 5 minutes before he answered, meekly...then gradually his meows got louder and more plaintive, before he finally ventured back inside the house. We then had an extended conversation about how horrible the experience was and how it was all my fault.