Cat Wobbling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

con

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I gave her the apple cider vinegar for 3 days and she's been off it for 3 days and seems to be doing fine.
The other cat--the apple cider vinegar did not seem to reduce the redness in the inner part of the ear flap (I put it in his ear for 5 days). I put him back on the zymox for the past 2 days as that eliminated any redness on the outer part of the ear flap (closest to the top of his ear) when I first gave it to him. He's not showing any other symptoms so I don't know whether to be concerned or not?

con

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I agree with sticking to zymox for another week, I think its getting slightly more pink vs red although the poor cat doesn't like it when I peer into his ear.

A huge thank you to everyone on this thread and on the board!! You guys such a big help--couldn't have healed her without you!!! She's doing great.

con

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suspect a deep inner ear infection which may be result of polyps. The symptoms you describe are typical.

The rapid darting of the eyes back and forth is called "horizontal nystagmus". The swaying back and forth is called "ataxia". This, plus loss of balance, head dropping to one side suggests the infection is in the ear to which the cat tilts the head. The cat is shaking the head as it feels uncomfortable pressure in the ear canal.

I have had a cat with a deep inner ear infection due to infected polyps. Symptoms you describe were the same. It takes an MRI to diagnose this however.

The cat underwent surgery to remove the infected polyps and drain the large amount of purulent fluid from the left ear. Cat recovered quickly and was perfectly normal afterwards.

I also had a different cat who had a stroke; in fact two of them. The symptoms you describe are not those typical of a stroke. Again it takes an MRI to diagnose a stroke.

I know you say you cannot afford an MRI, but if there is any way you could obtain "Care Credit" from your vet, or borrow money or somehow come up with funds for an MRI, it would provide the answers you need for your cat to get treatment needed to heal. I would discuss all possible options with your vet.

I wish you and your cat all the best.
Hey also to babiesmom, your posts were a huge help in pointing me to research ear infection treatments when the vets were saying otherwise, so thanks for that!!