Cat Without Teeth And Ground Bones

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i am getting ready to switch Huxley to a raw diet due to his multiple allergies. I was so worried about supplements that I forgot an important detail. Huxley has stomatitis and has had to have all of his teeth removed. Can he handle eating raw food with finely ground bones (I would buy the meat alredy ground) or would that be dangerous for him since he wouldn't be able to chew them?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For the wonderful members here, would huxley (with poultry and other allergies) be better served with a boneless grind of pork mixed with some other organs? Using a supplement mix like alnutrin for mixes without bones (or a supplement recipe for without bones, i saw something about egg shells).

Huxley was a fan of pork but not big on rabbit (there was a thought to try venison). Would you recommend a red meat organ blend just to get switched and then testing other meats could happen in a few months.

With an allergy test saying allergy to poultry would that just encompass say chicken and turkey? Would quail be a possibility.

I wanted to add a few questions After asking about huxley. I was unsure if the stomachititis (probably butchering the name) meant even fine bone should be avoided.

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My ginger cat Bilbo has had most of his teeth removed due to oral resorptive lesions. He does just fine with the fine ground rabbit with bones. He's a bit of a messy eater, and any bone bits that he has trouble with just get left in, or around, his dish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that Bilbo does well with it. I've not actually seen any raw food yet, but would assume that the bones are ground finely and would not require chewing or have sharp edges. After all it must be safe for cats to eat. Huxley is a messy eater too! It must be the lack of teeth. Hopefully more people on this thread will confirm that it's not a problem. I have enough to deal with the allergies!

My ginger cat Bilbo has had most of his teeth removed due to oral resorptive lesions. He does just fine with the fine ground rabbit with bones. He's a bit of a messy eater, and any bone bits that he has trouble with just get left in, or around, his dish.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bones in "finely ground" shouldn't be a problem. Like dhammagirl said, cats will usually pick around pieces of bone that are too hard, too large, too sharp, etc. and leave them on the plate. My cats also leave pieces of bone on their plates if I didn't smash them small enough.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was worried bone would get stuck in their gums. I've been feeding just a short bit but she's putting any hard bone bit back on her plate. Kinda like she feels it with her tongue and drops it on the plate.

The hare-today is really fine.