Cat with UTI

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,
New member here! My 17 year old senior baby Piper has mega colon and was recently diagnosed with a UTI. Poor thing has had a tough year. She is now on an antibiotic and has been peeing all over the house. Now, she goes into her litter box and proceeds to pee over the side onto the mat and bathroom floor. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix it or will her urinary habits return to normal as the antibiotic works?
-Emily

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her urinary habits will return to normal as the antibiotic cuts down her confusion and pain that UTI's bring. For now, you might want to get a bigger litter box with lower sides to accommodate a senior cat. Or a higher back and lower front. Or get puppy training pads or human incontinence pads (those are bigger) and set the litter box on it to collect any misplaced urine. She is so lucky to have someone love and care for her in her senior years, she has given you many years of love and devotion. I salute your understanding and the care you are providing!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree that her peeing over the top of box probably is due to the UTI and should stop when the infection has been diminished or eradicated. Feeby (16+ yo) did the same thing a couple of years ago with her last UTI. I just placed washable rugs (or, you can do puppy pee pads as suggested above) around the box until she stopped. I didn't change out her litter box for fear that might cause additional problems, and because she has a bit of arthritis - so getting a taller box wouldn't have been helpful from that aspect.

If it doesn't stop at the end of her antibiotic course, get her urine rechecked just to make sure she doesn't need an additional round of the meds. And, a urine culture (if not done on the last urinalysis) would be helpful then to ensure she is receiving the most effective antibiotic for her type of infection. If her UTI is related to her megacolon, she might have an e-coli infection, which can be a bit harder to eliminate, especially if the antibiotics aren't as well suited to treating e-coli infections. Feeby's was e-coli, and when we finally put her on Orbax is when the infection went away completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kilgore.Emily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should have stated that she has been on her antibiotic for a week now and is actually aiming in the box and gets it about half the time. I am so glad she is doing better and she has a urinalysis next week!
Puppy pads was genius guys, thank you so much!