Cat with UTI/ how to go about it

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my cat Snap has been using the bathroom repeatedly and straining to actually pee when he does. He hasn’t been peeing outside the litter box and there is no blood in him urine. I took him to the vet and they said he does have a UTI but there are no signs of crystals and it could possibly be stress induced. They recommended I put him on a prescription diet, is this the best option to prevent UTIs in the future? How should I handle this, are there any other things i can do to prevent UTIs in the future? The vet said the acidity levels was good and if it’s stress induced does he really need the prescription diet? If he does i’m happy to get it for him I just wanted a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently my cat Snap has been using the bathroom repeatedly and straining to actually pee when he does. He hasn’t been peeing outside the litter box and there is no blood in him urine. I took him to the vet and they said he does have a UTI but there are no signs of crystals and it could possibly be stress induced. They recommended I put him on a prescription diet, is this the best option to prevent UTIs in the future? How should I handle this, are there any other things i can do to prevent UTIs in the future? The vet said the acidity levels was good and if it’s stress induced does he really need the prescription diet? If he does i’m happy to get it for him I just wanted a second opinion.
i currently feed him a rotation of fancy feast classics pate, tiki after dark, and weruva cats in the kitchen! if that provided anything!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he is currently eating wet food, as suggested by your list above, that is great. That is best for any urinary issues due to the extra moisture not found in dry foods. Keeping the bladder flushed out as much as possible is the most beneficial way to help prevent bacteria build up.

So, was there bacteria in the urine for the vet to declare a UTI? Did they do a urine culture to determine what kind of bacteria? No blood in the urine? Any signs of inflammation? If it is FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis), it is usually of unknown causes and deemed to be stress related. I am not sure I think the prescription diet will be of much help, especially if there are no crystals or urine PH issues. So ask the vet what this food is supposed to do for him. Sometimes, anti-inflammatories and/or anti-spasm meds are helpful with FIC.

A lot of folks, including me, use pure D-Mannose to help remove bacteria from the bladder and to promote overall bladder health. Aside from that, reducing stress and keeping a good routine will help. Here are some articles on various urinary tract issues -
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite

Other tips and insights have been offered above by Furballsmom Furballsmom .

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. If he is currently eating wet food, as suggested by your list above, that is great. That is best for any urinary issues due to the extra moisture not found in dry foods. Keeping the bladder flushed out as much as possible is the most beneficial way to help prevent bacteria build up.

So, was there bacteria in the urine for the vet to declare a UTI? Did they do a urine culture to determine what kind of bacteria? No blood in the urine? Any signs of inflammation? If it is FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis), it is usually of unknown causes and deemed to be stress related. I am not sure I think the prescription diet will be of much help, especially if there are no crystals or urine PH issues. So ask the vet what this food is supposed to do for him. Sometimes, anti-inflammatories and/or anti-spasm meds are helpful with FIC.

A lot of folks, including me, use pure D-Mannose to help remove bacteria from the bladder and to promote overall bladder health. Aside from that, reducing stress and keeping a good routine will help. Here are some articles on various urinary tract issues -
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite

I usually add water to his food and have a bowl and a fountain set up for him that he semi frequently drinks from. The vet is sending him home with some anti inflammatory medication. I will definitely look into everything you recommended, thank you for the suggestions!

meownomania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

is Pure the brand? or the type of D-mannose? what brand do you use if you don’t mind me asking! thank you again