Cat With Uri Sleeps All Day

mozzicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

First time cat owner here. My little boy started sneezing a lot about 3 days ago. Yesterday his eyes started watering, so I took him to the vet. I’m now giving him medication for URI and also a possible liver problem. He has stopped sneezing as much but his eyes are still watery and he’s drowsy and sleeps the entire day. He does eat and drink fine though. Is this normal when cats are getting over an URI? When should I expect the symptoms to go away?

Side note my cat is a little over 2 years old :)

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
It sure is normal! Think about it. When you're under the weather, are you up and active, or are you sleepy and out of it? Sleeping aids in the healing process of humans and cats. He should be fine within a few days.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He may be a bit sleepy until the meds start really working...usually (just like with humans) about 72 hours. DO make sure he is eating and drinking! If that's an issue, you can support him with syringe feedings. Take a pate style cat food and mix with water until a loose slurry is formed. Draw this up into a syringe or a medicine dropper, place the tip between his cheek and gum, and SLOWLY inject a "bite" at a time into his mouth, allowing him time to swallow after each bite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mozzicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He may be a bit sleepy until the meds start really working...usually (just like with humans) about 72 hours. DO make sure he is eating and drinking! If that's an issue, you can support him with syringe feedings. Take a pate style cat food and mix with water until a loose slurry is formed. Draw this up into a syringe or a medicine dropper, place the tip between his cheek and gum, and SLOWLY inject a "bite" at a time into his mouth, allowing him time to swallow after each bite.
Luckily he’s eating and drinking normally by himself :) But thank you!!!