Cat with sudden paralysis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so strange, she's weak all over, even in her head and neck area. If you pick her up, there's zero resistance, and she's liable to slip right out of your arms.

She's still getting better, though; this morning before I could stop her, she ran out of the bedroom I have her quarantined in and climbed on my cat tree. She jumped across a two foot gap to my bed last night as well. But her front paws sometimes still "knuckle under", if that's the right term, and she slips and slides on my uncarpeted floor. And when there's something exciting going on, like food, or just seeing me, she'll do the happy kitty "prrrt" sound, and wobble her head at me.

I'm feeding her Science Diet A/D, which she likes. And baby food chicken as a treat. I give her some homemade kitten glop when she's feeling picky, too. It's just a day-by-day thing, I guess.

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, after so many months, I think I might have found the answer, though discovery came with a cost. I think it's a reaction to Advantage 2.

She got better, by leaps and bounds over the past few months, to the point where she was nearly 100%. I had her on prednisolone every day, and she was doing fine. Finally, last Wednesday, I noticed a few fleas, so I broke out the old trusty Advantage. I've used it on cats for years, with no ill effects beyond a twitchy back or, worst case, some drool.

She was fine the first day, the second day, the third. Then she started seeming clumsy, mildly. Then she was worse, and worse, until I had to make an appointment with the vet because she couldn't stand. Another shot of steroids, and here we are again.

I googled neurological side effects of Advantage, and the descriptions, though extremely rare, were shockingly similar to hers - fine for a few days, then the cat goes completely limp. I don't know why I didn't put the two together sooner, but as I said, I've used it for years, on my own cats and on rescues, and I've never seen anything like it.

I'm really hoping she pulls through again, otherwise the guilt will be unbearable.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg I'm so sorry she's having problems again, but it's great that you've put the puzzle pieces together. Does your vet agree that Advantage is to blame? I hope she gets better soon!

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My usual vet wasn't in that day, but the gentleman I saw agreed that it made sense. At this point, it's the only thing that could explain it, I think. I don't believe FIP can go into remission for months, and that was the only other possibility they offered before.

She's been through absolute hell, poor baby.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would notify the company who makes Advantage and also do a review warning others on as many sites as you can! I sure hope she comes through this!

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would notify the company who makes Advantage and also do a review warning others on as many sites as you can! I sure hope she comes through this!
I read on a few places that the inert ingredients aren't always tested for safety (it's not necessary under the law, go figure). Ironically, none of the fleas died. I had to use the old flea comb + dawn soap combo just now, since she was absolutely encrusted in flea dirt. So not only did it nearly kill her, it didn't even do its job. Ugh.

Oh wow, I'm just reading the thread now - good for you being such a good cat mommy and getting to the bottom of this!
Thank you. She's really the sweetest cat in the world.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read on a few places that the inert ingredients aren't always tested for safety (it's not necessary under the law, go figure). Ironically, none of the fleas died. I had to use the old flea comb + dawn soap combo just now, since she was absolutely encrusted in flea dirt. So not only did it nearly kill her, it didn't even do its job. Ugh.

The old fashioned ways work just as well, maybe better because of less toxicity.

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she seems to be doing better tonight... not a massive improvement, but not exactly negligible either. She actually walked to the litterbox and did her business. She fell over before making it back to the bed, but at least she can move.

Slow and steady...

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's doing better. It's the same exact progression as before, except sped up. She's able to jump on the windowsill and off again without too much issue. Her head's wobbly, and she isn't steady, but she's playing.

I went through the Advantage I have, and double-checked to make sure none of it was counterfeit. It seems genuine. So that's ruled out. I guess she's just one of those rare cases that has a terrible reaction to a usually safe drug.

vivicka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok- I've been meaning to blog about my cat spart- then i saw this. Consider Lyme Disease!! His onset was sudden, then somewhat recovered, then it came back:

Here is what happened to me:

I want to share this to the community - 3 vets couldn't figure this out! I was about to put him to sleep when I read a post on "nextdoor" from a woman that posted to be aware of ticks - and posted her history of 20years where she didn't get diagnosed for her condition of LYME Disease!

Jan, 2016: See Fairfax vet. Suddenly spart can’t jump! I had cats all my life, never saw a cat that couldn't jump! His mobility continued to decrease. He begins to sleep a lot (especially for a kitten not even a year old!). Go to vet. Review blood tests. Nothing he can recommend. Leave things alone.

Jan 26, 2016:
He isn't jumping very much but he is getting better.
The nsaid did provide some relief, barely - he only took 2 out of the 3 pills.

Feb 2, 2016: I'm concerned - he doesn't seem in pain, but the lameness (though walking, slight running, has limited jumping- uses more his front to help pull him up). Lots of sleeping (for his age), and I think maybe edema in face/body. (Remember- thought he was fat suddenly- he was 11lbs when u saw him). He looks the same.

Feb 10, 2016: Spart sleeping endlessly. Take him to vet because just not normal for a kitten. Nickel found on X-ray about to enter small intestines!!

Feb 11, 2016:
Endoscopy procedure done -nickel removed

April 4, 2016:
He seems to be gradually getting better, still not climbing trees or jumping totally, but his legs are functioning more and more. I've been taking him outside with me regularly (he won't go without me much). Over the last 2 weeks he has been more mobile and happy. The lizards and sun is getting him moving more and it has helped. He now can do small jumps, I've seen him go up to the chair a few times. Hopefully connections are being made and he will recover fully. Doesn't matter though, his current mobility is just fine to be happy. :)

Summertime: Same

October, 2016: Feeling like I should look into his Sparts mobility problem a little more, I go see vet Dr. Innes about Sparts mobility, which had declined somewhat/ never improved totally. Review blood tests. Nothing. Nothing he recommends, says at least he moves. Leave things alone.

Approx Sept, 2016: Sparts mobility decreases majorly and suddenly - back legs don’t seem to work well. No purr. Still gets around. Lots of “wide eye” looks. Twitching of skin. Take to Vet, Dr. Innes to x-ray in case of coin! No coin. No recommendations. Blood work normal.

November 22, 2016
-Condition unchanged. Gets around. Doesn't purr (perhaps can't use the muscle!) but still loving. Goes outside a little. Up and down stairs still - not with ease, but goes. Noticing twitching on skin. Eyes big and round, stares at me.

- Take to Petsmart for series of vaccines along with new kitten.

November 23, 2016:
-Spart jumps down from bed and flops on to face. He loses function in front legs now!! Can't move but one step. (maybe the vaccines compromised him). Call vet (Dr. Innes). Review his blood panel. Nothing. I'm desperate. Really sad. Think if he can't even go the the bathroom I will have to put him down. Desperate- I ask for anything, so,
pick up anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds from vet. Start immediately.

November 24, 2016:
Spart is bad through night- no moving. No purring. Read article about Lyme disease- think it could be- Call vet to ask. Its possible.

---Pick up Lyme disease meds (docycycline) - Start - 2x/day
Discontinue ani-inflam and pain med.

November 26, 2016:
Improving daily - little more mobile (couple steps- can go to bathroom without falling / laying down) . Not so wide eyed. Interacts with kitten by reaching out.

November 30, 2016:
Plays with kitten (Huntra) on bed (she is keeping his spirits up). Small, low low 8 sec purr (1st I’ve heard in a long long long time!)

Dec 1, 2016 Day 9 of Lyme medication:
Spart jumps down from bed successfully!!

Dec 4, 2016 Day 12 of Lyme medication:
Wants my attention! Real purring undertone. Actually likes my touching - can’t hold a purr, but seems more relaxed.
Dec 5, 2016
Real purr - didn’t last very long- but something!

Dec , 2016
Last dose given (of first of series)
Not more mobile - still somewhat hunched when walks, but walks! Interacts with kitten in play.
Jan 2017:

March 12 2017: Meds Stopped. Last dose (series) of Lyme medication (Doxycycline 1ml).

May 2 2017: Spart is happy. He can jump up his cat stand. Jumps onto tables. Sometimes his leg shakes, but not often. He likes to stay with me when outside, very loyal now, probably a little unsure to be by himself after all the scare in the past of his legs not working when he wanted them to.

vivicka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lyme in cats is controversial as well as treatment. I am an Registered Nurse, so took it upon myself to prescribe his treatment and vet complied (think he felt bad). At this point of discover, I consider it "late Lyme" and treatment should be longer. I treated him on different lyme meds for 5months. The reasoning is that lyme is slow growing, and hides in muscle. The medication only works at a certain stage of the lyme cycle, so keeping him on lyme meds, using different ones, to get it all out. I think getting their muscles moving also helps release the hiding lyme and the kitten friend, along with his young age, helped get him moving about and non-depressed.

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, poor Spart! That sounds just terrible. :(

I asked my vet about Lyme disease originally, but because she doesn't go out, they said it was pretty unlikely, but I'll run it by them again when we go for a checkup.

I'm so glad your little baby is doing better!