Cat with Stinky Head

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posting this question on behalf of my roommate, but I'll include as much information as I can. I wasn't sure if it belonged here or maybe in the health forum, so please feel free to move this thread if appropriate. 

My roommate's cat, Shinji, smells like wet dog. But only on the top of his head. His breath isn't particularly bad, nor are his ears particularly dirty. It's been going on for a couple of days now. He doesn't REEK; like, you can't smell it until you lean in to smooch him on the forehead. But once you're within range, it's very pungent. I've rubbed him with a couple deodorizing cat wipes, but he still smells.

He eats Meow Mix kibble with the occasional can of Fancy Feast or similar quality wet foods. She started giving him a salmon oil supplement a couple days ago, but neither of us can remember for sure if he was already stinky before that.

The only other unusual thing with him recently is that he had a kind of rust colored stain on one of his paws a few days ago (before we noticed the stench), but it washed off and we couldn't find any sign of an injury; my roommate suspects it may have been pizza grease. 

I guess what we're looking for is a reason for his odor and/or how to get rid of it. Thanks!

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, sounds to me like he got something on the top of his head. Try a moist washcloth with a little bit of Dawn, then wipe him off thoroughly? One of my cats once got curious about what my husband was doing, standing over the toilet like that...if you follow me. His head stunk for about a week even with a couple of cleanings. 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hilarious! 

Have you changed foods recently? It could be a food allergy manifesting itself through a stinky head. 

I'd also discontinue the fish oil for a few days and see if that helps. I doubt it's the fish oil but if that's the only thing that's changed diet wise, it's worth checking out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hahaha, sounds to me like he got something on the top of his head. Try a moist washcloth with a little bit of Dawn, then wipe him off thoroughly? One of my cats once got curious about what my husband was doing, standing over the toilet like that...if you follow me. His head stunk for about a week even with a couple of cleanings. 

We couldn't think of anything he might have gotten into that smells like that, but it certainly seems like a likely option. We'll try the Dawn! Thanks!
Have you changed foods recently? It could be a food allergy manifesting itself through a stinky head. 

I'd also discontinue the fish oil for a few days and see if that helps. I doubt it's the fish oil but if that's the only thing that's changed diet wise, it's worth checking out.
No, he's been eating the Meow Mix for a while. I'm also skeptical that it might be the fish oil. I suppose if the Dawn works to get the smell off, we could see if it comes back after giving the oil. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have another cat or animal that may be licking his head? or possibly marked him on the head?

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Do you have another cat or animal that may be licking his head? or possibly marked him on the head?
I've seen my cats licking him (most notably after I used the cat wipes), but not so much that I would expect him to stink from it.

Everyone is neutered and gets along, so I don't think it's from marking. I've never had a marking tom cat - does it smell like wet dog??

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note: When using the Dawn, be very careful NOT to let it get into his eyes or ears. Also, use the Original Dawn if at all possible - not one that is scented with lemon or fresh rain etc. And use VERY little! A small drop goes a longgggg way! Mix one small drop in a cup of warm water and be sure to rinse it off well. 

Even though his ears might 'look' fairly clean, he might be developing a case of ear mites. When was he last vetted?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
the licker, check his breath? make sure he doesn't have stinky breath that's transferring over?

lemondrop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My roommate sprayed him with Wondercide last night, so now he just smells like cedar. Problem solved, I guess...