Cat With Sore Throat, Not Eating,no Voice.

Terry Baldwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat Topaz has not eaten for over a week. we thought he was sulking at first due to the new kitten we got two weeks ago. He didn`t eat a lot and kept going outside when he saw her but after a week he was starting to get used to her. Then we noticed he had stopped meowing and was coughing and dry retching especially when we picked him up. Then he stopped eating, not even tempted by his favourites. He has been at the vets for two days now,there is no obstruction in his throat, his organs are working, his temperature is up a bit,he has gone from 4 kilos to 3.6 and they still can`t get him to eat. He has had fluids, anti biotics and painkillers. We lost our Burmese three months ago and we are desperately worried we will lose him too.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Is he urinating okay? What does the vet think is wrong? Did they give him a feeding tube?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Terry Baldwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I`m not sure if he is urinating or has feeding tube. He goes to the toilet outside. I will ask about the feeding tube when the vet calls with an update later this afternoon. Thanks for the reply.
Terry

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats get urinary infections really easily, so that's why I mentioned it, but I guess it's hard to tell if he goes outside. The antibiotics would help with that if he did have a UTI, so it's good that he did get those at the vet.

Terry Baldwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Topaz is home. He is eating well, still just small squeaks but seems a lot better. The vet thinks he had a virus or bacterial infection. They asked if we had a dog (we don`t) as he sounded as if he had kennel cough. We`ve been given special food and Metacam for next few days. Such a relief to see him eating, makes up for the big vet bill (£468).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that he's eating again. What kind of special food did they give him?

sandtiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Terry
Im just about to post about L-lysine myself. Im thinking that kittens arrival may have caused this. Ive recently learned the hard way that stress actually affects kittys quickly (see my post on health forum) I really suggest you try an L-lysine product. Kinda annoys me that vet thinks rather than knows:devilish: I used pate type foods well watered down into a runny porridge texture, worked well. As did mushed up cooked fish-haddock/cod did the trick. Its sooo important they eat something, anything. Im glad Topaz is on the mend:thumbsup:

Terry Baldwin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was given a recovery food for him that you mix with warm water that I`m having to mix with his regular food before he will eat it. They don`t know you are trying to help them! I suppose the stress of the new kitten could have left him vulnerable. He butted heads with her when he came home so that`s a good sign.