Cat with sexual aggression?

sabycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is going to sound strange..  but  I have a male (neutered) cat. He's a little over a year old.  Ever since I got him (he was 5 mos. old), he will jump up on my chest and meow VERY LOUDLY and then begin to knead.  He always gets an erection when he does this. Then he will continue to knead and then start kneading with all four paws.  Then he gets a strange look on his face.. sort of like he is mad. Then he "vibrates" his butt and then begins to lick his (private parts) ..  which a prominently enlarged by this time.  Sometimes he will do this on our bedspread. He particularly likes a certain bedspread.

He also at times has displayed an erection with some of his toys (his favorite is a toy fox).  

He's always been a bit hyperactive, but recently started being very frustrated and at times aggressive...biting for no apparent reason, stalking and pouncing, and attacked a small dog that he used to play with.

There is a female cat in our neighborhood is is a "wanderer". I've never seen her, but I hear her when she's in heat, or possible mating, or fighting, etc., and also, my neighbors have confirmed that she roams around.

I do take my cat outside on a leash on occasion. Lately, when we go outside, my cat will start "wailing" and act very frustrated.

I know for sure that he was neutered. Do male cats still get affected by female cats in heat?  and also, has anyone else experienced anything like this.

I'm starting to think his aggression may be somehow linked to some type of sexual frustration?

Anyone?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @sabycat ... sorry about the delay in replying.

Cats can have retained bits that can cause issues. 

Also, I was interested in your question and found this article.  I'm not saying to spray yourself with male pheromones as this vet tried on his female cat..
  But I thought the article was interesting.

How long has he been neutered?  It can take quite a while for them to 'get it out of their system'..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was neutered at 5 months.  He is now over a year old. I've seen some videos on Youtube with other cats doing this exact behavior..  I was curious to know if anyone else here personally has a cat that has this behavior. Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have always had my male cats neutered no later than three months old and have never experienced this issue. He clearly has testosterone that is triggering his male sexual urges. I have to wonder if they really got everything they were supposed to when he was neutered. I think it must be frustrating for him to live this way.

sabycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually thought he was neutered kind of late.  I got him from a breeder and she said that as long as they are neutered before six  months that it would be fine?  I guess not.  It's kind of sad, actually.  and yes, frustrating (for him, Im sure).  Thanks for the reply.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Six months is the norm with private vets. I've just personally found that male kittens grow into more pleasant and less sexually frustrated adults when they are neutered at a young age.

I really don't know that there is much you can do. Hopefully he will mellow out over the coming years. He's still so young right now.

You could ask a couple of different vets if they have any suggestions. I'm at a loss otherwise. Just make sure he gets plenty of interactive play and stimulus to burn off some of his energy. I wish you all the best! :)

sabycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been a few months..  He is still very sexually frustrated.  I got him a stuffed animal to "do it" with because he was using "me" in a very aggressive way..  also he tries to "rape" my little female who is only 10 months old.  She was spayed at 3 months.

Here is some video of his behavior.  (warning:  graphic).  

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaHKWSroqP_1PW6Y5H2KARQ

Thanks for the responses.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never seen anything like this before. Have you spoken with a vet about it, or had your cat checked out by a vet?

You might want to try a Feliway diffuser for its calming effects to see if it will help. Your poor cat must be miserable.