Cat with rodent ulcers.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitten with what I believe is rodent ulcers. Her chin swelled up a few weeks ago and that went away on its own but now her upper lip is swelling and sores are beginning to form. Currently I don't have any money to take her to the vet and I won't for a couple more weeks. Is there anything I can do to make the swelling go down?

She eats grain free food and her appetite is fine. She doesn't appear to be in pain and this is the first time it's happened.

Thanks!

EDIT

Best picture I could get.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats had a rodent ulcer. My vet told me that it can be nasty if left untreated. They are treated either by injection or tablets.

Please try to take your cat to your vet asap. If you cant pay now speak to your vet and ask if the cat can be treated now and pay within an agreed timescale. It is worth asking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was worried it would get worse. I'll see what I can do then. Sadly they only take payment at the time of the appointment. However, I may see if I can get her seen at another vet. Thank you!

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the vet for advice and they told me that Shepard could be having a bad reaction to fleas. So I'm going out to get some flea medicine after class, and they also told me to start her up on some Benadryl. If it's not better by the first of November I'm taking her in. But until then they told me to watch out for any signs of loss of appetite, irritability, or traditional signs of illness.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so pleased you got advise. Let's hope the flea treatment will cure Shepard's sores. I know you will keep a close eye on him. Hopefully on a few days you will see improvement.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope so too. I put the flea medication on her last night and figured I would wait until tonight to give her the Benadryl. But this morning the sores are gone and the swelling has gone down a bit so it appears it's going away on its own. I'll continue with the medicine and keep up with a stricter flea and tick regimen but I'm glad that it's going away for now.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay. That's good news. I have a flea comb for my cats and run it through their fur every few days. Any fleas and the comb pulls them out. It's not used instead of treatment but it highlights that they need treatment.
So glad there is improvement.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of doing that too. I know that some flea medication isn't strong enough to kill all fleas and with all the animals we have that's probably the safest thing to do, paired with treatment. May I ask what caused the ulcers for your cat? And what sort of preventative measures you used?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet said it was an allergy to fleas that's when I bought the comb. She had a rodent ulcer on two occasions and within two days of having the tablets ( I don't know what they were) it cleared up. The comb also grooms them and costs about $5/6.

commanderscott

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's useful information to know. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!