Cat with recurrent UTIs and spondolithesis

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took my cat 18+ cat Trixie to the vet yesterday for a probable UTI (dribbling urine with blood in it). By the time I got her there, she was really starting to leak bloody urine (enough that they were able to get a sample from the carrier). The vet took an x-ray (no bladder stones), did an urinalysis (said that he saw no abnormal/cancerous cells), and gave her a 14 day course of amoxicillin. I'm supposed to call them back this weekend and let them know how she is doing.

The vet commented that she had spondylolisthesis based on her x-ray (assuming I understood rightly). I didn't make the connection until today, when my Mom looked it up on the internet and said she wondered if that was causing Trixie's bladder problems (I think this is the 4th UTI she's had since she's gotten older). That made me wonder as she also walks a little off (like she has weak hind legs), if she could have some nerve damage that could affect her bladder.

She does have beginning kidney disease. She is also on gabapentin which might be a factor.

If the spondolithesis is causing her UTIs, I suppose I will have to decide between either palliative care or having her put down.

Any thoughts on questions to ask when I call the vet's office back?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no experience with this whatsoever, but I will tell you that my go-to question is, "If she were your cat, what would you choose to do?" Some vets hate being put on the spot like that, but they will answer, and honestly.

Meanwhile, my heart with yours! My own girl will be turning 14 in a few months, so I always have one eye out for trouble on the horizon.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never encountered this in a cat either. If there is nerve damage, does it make the bladder less able to empty? If that is the case, can you be shown how to express her bladder? I would want to know for sure that this condition is causing the UTIs and not a separate but unrelated condition before I considered euthasia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I talked to a vet via Chewy today, and she said that doesn't normally cause bladder problems in cats, so I think I was on the wrong track. I'm hoping it's just a nasty UTI, and can get it cleared up, especially since Trixie seems to be doing better this weekend.