Cat with random leg twitches, dental pain

keolvera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some backstory, his name is Jax and Ive had him since he was 6 weeks old, hes almost 8 years now. No health problems since the giardia he had as a baby, except for really bad teeth and gums. Vets say its simply genetic, all teeth will need to be pulled eventually. 7 teeth were removed 2 years ago.

A month ago, after moving into a new place, he'd be at rest and start making weird movements in his mouth like something was stuck in it. I figured it was oral pain, knowing he was due for a surgery again soon. However I noticed he would be walking and have a sudden, single jerk of his leg. Just one leg, sometimes a front, sometimes a hind leg. I was not sure if this was related to the pain.

I got him into the vet quickly, he had xrays done, bloodwork, vet said leg twitch was weird but yeah, he needed surgery bad, one of his teeth was loose. He was on pain meds and antibiotics until th
e surgery could be done and I didnt notice the twitching then...

Anyway, we had the surgery almost 2 weeks ago, 2 teeth removed this time, and his appetites been off, his energy levels have been low, and the twitching is back. Eating just seems to upset his mouth even on more pain meds but he does try. Hes been more active this week than the last, has even tried to go outside which he hasnt done in forever, is coming around for pets but, we have stairs and he walks up and down them slowly. And the leg twitching, however minimal and random it is, is back.

Between him and a cat with a bladder stone and a cat with asthma, I dont really have much money left to be taking him in for something that doesnt seem too serious. Im hoping its just a twitch caused from the oral pain but of course Im worried and looking up things like diabetes or muscle disorders and fearing the worst...

Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on this? Id appreciate anyone who has any kind of similar experience. The vet did say theyd like to see him based off what I said so I have him scheduled to go in Monday for a check up just in case but could really save some money.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just a random thought... I am not a vet, or a cat expert, but your comments made me think of it...

Is he drinking enough water? Oral pain can be exacerbated by drinking water (both in cats and humans).

Dehydration can cause muscle spasms. I was just wondering if he is not drinking enough water, because it is painful to do so.

I would monitor his water intake and take note of it, and discuss the details with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keolvera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, thanks for responding. Yeah I mean Ive seen him drinking water more than Ive seen him trying to eat since his surgery. Like he'll do it for longer and more often than his attempts at eating. Oddly enough hes really into wet food but since the surgery hes been mostly uninterested in it, it seems to irritate him more than the dry food does.