Cat With Mouth Ulcers

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so I have this cat Tiffany. She is a doll faced grey Persian cat. I got her about 3 weeks ago and she is seven or eight months old. She has a lovely character, she’s always rubbing her self against you, but one thing I notice was that she was hanging her tongue out and had bad breath. I took her to the vet and sure enough she had mouth ulcers right above her two front fangs in her gums, though this didn’t really stop her from eating or drinking.The vet gave her some injections for three days and gave me nilstat and ordered me to give it to her once a day for seven days.

But this isn’t the problem. The problem is she is a really laid back cat. I don’t know why, it’s probably not because of the ulcers the dr said it’s because of her breed. The second problem is I was browsing and found that oral ulcers are linked to a multitude of other diseases I.e kidney cancer and stomach and bladder issues, which doesn’t really seem to be a problem as she urinates normally two to three times a day and passes stool at the most two times a day.

She also drinks plentiful and finishes about a whole bowl of dry food each day it’s just that I’m an overly careful pet owner and any advice would be nice p.s going to the vet again today hope everything will be alright hehe I’m really scared of diseases.

Any help on how to put some weight on her would be wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
High moisture and low carbs are essential for cat health, particularly kidney and urinary health. For this reason, a diet of all wet food is best.

It’s great that you’re so concerned with doing the best for your kitty. I suggest you take some time to read catinfo.org. Lots of great information written by a practicing veterinarian.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do you think being a laid-back cat is a problem? That is a good thing when you have to give her meds!

Ann all-wet diet is essential. Now is the time to start training her to only eat canned food because she needs to recognize it as cat food early in life.

Kidney disease is not a kitten problem and oral ulcers are not the first sign of it.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are naturally more laid back than others. There is a difference in laid back, and lethargic. Will she play? Is she happy to spend time with you? What is it that concerns you about this?

As for weight, has the vet said if she is too thin? It may be that the mouth ulcer was painful enough that she is eating, but maybe not as much as she should? What food is she currently eating? I feed mine 2 wet meals per day, and leave out dry. If she is too thin and good high protein wet food, in addition to kibble might be a good thing for her?

photos are always welcome :) Do let us know how her vet visit went.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do you think being a laid-back cat is a problem? That is a good thing when you have to give her meds!

Ann all-wet diet is essential. Now is the time to start training her to only eat canned food because she needs to recognize it as cat food early in life.

Kidney disease is not a kitten problem and oral ulcers are not the first sign of it.
i Tried but she won’t eat only wet cat food she’ll starve but she won’t eat it I give her about 2:1 dry to wet cat food per meal which she enjoys and their both Whiskas cat food

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are naturally more laid back than others. There is a difference in laid back, and lethargic. Will she play? Is she happy to spend time with you? What is it that concerns you about this?

As for weight, has the vet said if she is too thin? It may be that the mouth ulcer was painful enough that she is eating, but maybe not as much as she should? What food is she currently eating? I feed mine 2 wet meals per day, and leave out dry. If she is too thin and good high protein wet food, in addition to kibble might be a good thing for her?

I guess it’s not that concerning as the vet told me it’s normal for cats at her age to be so laid back and plus her fur is quite heavy as well so she doesn’t really play but she does love to be right at our toes. The vet visit went great the vet said her being thin was because she was using her energy to grow rather than to store fat and if her being thin was a problem there would be other signs. I feed her half a bowl of Whiskas wet food and a full bowl of Whiskas chicken flavoured dry food each day without either she refuses to eat idk why maybe it’s a cat thing

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
i Tried but she won’t eat only wet cat food she’ll starve but she won’t eat it I give her about 2:1 dry to wet cat food per meal which she enjoys and their both Whiskas cat food
Even if you must feed dry food, it should NOT be Whiskas.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet and dry is a good combination. I feed my guys the two wet meals per day, and keep out dry. at her age most cats are thin. I have a 4 year old female that is still a skinny bones. she is healthy, vet said thats just her body type. She gets all the food she wants, i keep food out for her all the time, and feed her special, she is just a skinny little girl...:p

Sometimes mine get fussy with their food, so i often like to offer several different ones in rotation. Different brands, different textures, and different proteins. Plus if i cant get what they are use to they dont freak out because i feed them something different. :eek: With feeding only one food i have found mine either get bored with it, and start refusing to eat. Or they fixate on that one food, and if its ever out of stock. OH NO, then they get mad :rolleyes3: cats are funny with their food...lol.

There are a few different places i like to look up foods. With any brands i feed i look for the highest protein, a moderate amount of fat, and low carb as possible within that brand. If you decide to try some rotation for her you can maybe check out the links. But ultimately it comes down to what they will eat. Cats can be determined in their food choices :) And the best food is one they will eat, that keeps them healthy and happy.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even if you must feed dry food, it should NOT be Whiskas.
Any reasons and what should I feed her If not Whiskas I would also like to put in that where I live there’s only a limited selection ranging from Whiskas the me-o cat food

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wet and dry is a good combination. I feed my guys the two wet meals per day, and keep out dry. at her age most cats are thin. I have a 4 year old female that is still a skinny bones. she is healthy, vet said thats just her body type. She gets all the food she wants, i keep food out for her all the time, and feed her special, she is just a skinny little girl...:p

Sometimes mine get fussy with their food, so i often like to offer several different ones in rotation. Different brands, different textures, and different proteins. Plus if i cant get what they are use to they dont freak out because i feed them something different. :eek: With feeding only one food i have found mine either get bored with it, and start refusing to eat. Or they fixate on that one food, and if its ever out of stock. OH NO, then they get mad :rolleyes3: cats are funny with their food...lol.

There are a few different places i like to look up foods. With any brands i feed i look for the highest protein, a moderate amount of fat, and low carb as possible within that brand. If you decide to try some rotation for her you can maybe check out the links. But ultimately it comes down to what they will eat. Cats can be determined in their food choices :) And the best food is one they will eat, that keeps them healthy and happy.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
Thanks for the answer any ideas on how to put some weight on her

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just keep feeding her all she will eat. Once she gets out of the kitten age she will most likely gain a bit. If your vet says she is healthy, not too skinny i wouldn't worry. Hopefully when her mouth is all healed up she will eat a bit more, and gain a bit of weight. Feed her the wet, and the dry, and listen to your vets advice! Best advice i can give :)

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would just keep feeding her all she will eat. Once she gets out of the kitten age she will most likely gain a bit. If your vet says she is healthy, not too skinny i wouldn't worry. Hopefully when her mouth is all healed up she will eat a bit more, and gain a bit of weight. Feed her the wet, and the dry, and listen to your vets advice! Best advice i can give :)
Thanks

simbawimba4321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Oops didn’t read the pictures part here are both of my kitties simba and Tiffany

badams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 7 month old tabby has mouth ulcers over upper canines. We took him to the vet today and she suspects he has an autoimmune disorders. He is now receiving clindomycin daily. The vet also put him on prescription Hills Z/D diet for skin/food sensitivities. The vet thinks he may have Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. I would appreciate any observation and advice. See photo below.
fritz.JPG