Cat with messy behind

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a question about my CKD cat Trixie. She has a messy behind, which I was attributing to her not cleaning herself very well (she is an older cat, 18+ years old, with possible arthritis). However, I noticed today that it sees to be getting worse, to the point where I am concerned it might end up causing a UTI, if the debris gets in the wrong area.

She has an appointment with the vet on Friday, due to I found some stools outside of the litter box, and thought she might need a stool softener (I'm also thinking about trying glyco flex chews). She also vomited some creamy liquid once last week.

I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the messy behind, and if so what questions to ask. Part of me thinks she might need a deworming and/or treatment for a digestive issues (constipation or loose stools?) but I'm not sure if I'm overthinking things.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
All good questions. Have you been helping her with chemical free wipes, or gentle rear-end bathing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. First off, unless she is around other pets, or goes outside, I am not sure why she would need deworming. Maybe you could explain why you think that might an issue.

Secondly, with you not being sure if she has loose stool and/or constipation is puzzling. The only time that might occur is if she is actually constipated, and sometimes loose stool - aka diarrhea normally - will pass around the stool that is sitting her her bowel. CKD kitties sometimes need subQ fluids to help with flushing their system, so there are times constipation can occur as a result.

Cleaning up her bottom with hypoallergenic unscented wipes can help keep the area clean in the meantime. I have done that with Feeby (16+yo). Feeby did get a couple of UTIs due to e-coli - from her colon - so that is always a possibility. But, would be better confirmed with a urinalysis.

I have given Feeby Glyco Flex Plus for a couple of years now to help with the arthritis previously identified in x-rays. She was limping before that, and it has helped to mostly reduce the limp and help with her mobility in general.

Vomiting up once last week is probably not quite an issue for concern as yet. But, she is 18, so a full geriatric check up (CBC, Super Chem Profile, thyroid check, urinalysis, maybe a stool test) is in order - along with perhaps some x-rays to see about the arthritis. Weight can also be issue when it comes to mobility and cleaning, so the vet should be able to tell you if she needs to lose some weight. I know very little about CKD, so all of the above are questions to ask the vet if that plays a role in any of it.

Also, have you checked out this web site for additional information on CKD kitties? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I will consider getting some wipes for her. I will also check out Tanya's website. To answer your questions, I was thinking a messy behind might be a symptom of worms. I haven't actually seen her go poop and do have another cat, so I think some observation is in order.