Cat With Lymphoma And Steroids

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Abyssinian was just diagnosed with lymphoma. The vet want me to give him 5mg, which is a whopping 5cc of steroids twice daily. Im concerned if I cant get it down regularly, he may have bad side effects from on and off again steroids. I have to try since his appetite is gone. Sounds like a high dosage; anyone experience similar?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat diagnosed with severe IBD who was prescribed 5 mg Prednisolone twice a day in order to get the inflammation down to a manageable level. This dosage continued for several months until he was stabilized then dosage was reduced down.

I would try to follow your Vet's advice. With severe inflammation and/or Lymphoma, it is important to start with a high dosage to beat it back. If you start out with a low dose, the inflammation will only continue.

The steroid should help his appetite but may take a few days to kick in. Has your vet prescribed any kind of appetite stimulant as well?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats seem to tolerate steroids surprisingly well. My lymphoma cat is on the same dose of prednisolone daily and she’s been on 5 mg twice a day in the past. I use tablets. Prednisolone tastes nasty and the thought of taking 5 ml of the horrible stuff would make me gag. I wrap the tablet in a pill pocket and pop it in. Recalcitrant cats get the pill gun treatment.

Is your cat getting anything else for lymphoma? Usually there’s another drug given. Good luck and keep us updated on your kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats seem to tolerate steroids surprisingly well. My lymphoma cat is on the same dose of prednisolone daily and she’s been on 5 mg twice a day in the past. I use tablets. Prednisolone tastes nasty and the thought of taking 5 ml of the horrible stuff would make me gag. I wrap the tablet in a pill pocket and pop it in. Recalcitrant cats get the pill gun treatment.

Is your cat getting anything else for lymphoma? Usually there’s another drug given. Good luck and keep us updated on your kitty.
My cat, SETH is on 15mg prednisone, 5cc of liquid twice daily First try was a disaster. He spit and foamed it out all over. It's SO much. alternative is 3 pills at once twice daily. So far we cannot get the meds in his body. Very frustrating. Watched videos online of how, nothing works so far. Even tried tuna water with a syringe so its not about the flavor, he hates being forced. So far I have a puncture wound from his tooth. I'll keep trying but no luck so far.

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Nate, is hard to pill too. The pill pockets really help- I use about half of a pocket, make sure the pill is completely covered, and roll it into a little ball. I also try to make sure none of the dust from the pill gets stuck on the outside of the pocket so it doesn't taste bitter. Then I sit on him (not to put weight on him, just to contain him), tilt his head up, stick the pill pocket as far down his throat as I can get, and then hold his mouth shut and stroke his throat until he swallows. He still hates it, but there's no foaming or drooling, so I don't think he really tastes the pill. Another person recommended pill paste. I haven't tried it yet, but if pill pockets don't work, it might be worth a shot.

Pill Paste for Cats

Good luck!

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Nate, is hard to pill too. The pill pockets really help- I use about half of a pocket, make sure the pill is completely covered, and roll it into a little ball. I also try to make sure none of the dust from the pill gets stuck on the outside of the pocket so it doesn't taste bitter. Then I sit on him (not to put weight on him, just to contain him), tilt his head up, stick the pill pocket as far down his throat as I can get, and then hold his mouth shut and stroke his throat until he swallows. He still hates it, but there's no foaming or drooling, so I don't think he really tastes the pill. Another person recommended pill paste. I haven't tried it yet, but if pill pockets don't work, it might be worth a shot.

Pill Paste for Cats

Good luck!
Thanks, but in the end, nothing seemed to work. They ended up putting him to sleep because he stopped eating and drinking. He just didn't seem that frail or ready to go yet, guess I'll live with that decision for a long time. I took him in to the vet, they gave him a steroid injection they said would last two weeks, well it did nothing. He started to just lay there and stare at his water but even with help, barely licked a sip. They said with lymphoma he would not live much longer regardless. I felt he was constipated, hadn't used the litter box much, but the vets didn't seem to think that be the problem by exam and xray. I wish I would have tried more things to keep him with us, but then again wasn't sure if he was suffering. Thanks for your initial reply and information. krys

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sad. He is a beautiful boy. That is a very hard decision you had to make. It’s so hard to know when the “right” time is. Lymphoma took my baby too, and I have tortured myself second guessing my decision. Just know that you gave him a good home, loved him, and protected him all these years. There are many of us here who are going through the “what if” turmoil. Welcome to the club :(:grouphug:

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
K kriswhitney , I’m sorry to hear about Seth. He looks like such a sweet boy. I’m sure it was a really tough decision, but he was lucky to have someone who cared so much about him.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K kriswhitney I'm so sorry to hear this update. It won't make you feel any better but we all know what you're going through. Lymphoma is an ugly thing.

Seth looked like such a sweet boy. Try not to dwell on the end days but the rest of the 14 years you had together.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lost my cat with intestinal lymphoma had to put her to rest yesterday. We thought it was constipation but it was a mass. She got worst on weekend was hard. Not an easy thing to do. What type of lymphoma was it ? Are they all the same

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
candie candie I'm sorry to hear about your cat. :(

I'm not an expert but there are many different types of lymphoma. I lost my cat 4 months ago to Large Cell Lymphoma, which was a cancer of his whole GI tract. It had spread to his spleen, liver, lymph nodes & his large intestine. There was no mass, though.

It sucks because the cats hide their pain so well and sometimes they don't let us see any symptoms so when we find out about the lymphoma, it is far too late. It does not give us any time to prepare.

This community has been a life-line for me when I was going through the loss. No matter what you're going through, many members have been in your situation before. This place really helps you feel like you're not alone.

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lost my cat with intestinal lymphoma had to put her to rest yesterday. We thought it was constipation but it was a mass. She got worst on weekend was hard. Not an easy thing to do. What type of lymphoma was it ? Are they all the same
I took Seth in when his personality changed, had some vomiting and he lost interest in his favorite foods. His lymphocytes were 38,000 indicating a huge infection somewhere. He was also febrile. They gave him an antibiotic shot but a few days later was told the pathologist said his blood work indicated 99% lymphoma. I tried liquid steroids, then a special soft chicken treat compound with steroids, then the pill pusher method. He seemed better at first, then not. The steroid shot seemed to make him worse. He just would lay there staring at his water, I still am not sure I did the right thing letting him go. I wish I would have given it more time, then again I don't know if he was suffering. 3 weeks earlier he was normal, happy and purring all the time. I wonder if they missed something. Maybe the infection was not completely addressed. I'll never know with certainty.

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss; I am still in pain over losing Seth, I know how inconsolable it can be when losing a pet that we know depends on us to take care of them. Try not to do what I have been doing by dwelling on what I could have done different. There are no words to make it better but it is comforting to hear from others that have been through similar losses.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss; I am still in pain over losing Seth, I know how inconsolable it can be when losing a pet that we know depends on us to take care of them. Try not to do what I have been doing by dwelling on what I could have done different. There are no words to make it better but it is comforting to hear from others that have been through similar losses.
Yeah I am still in the grieving process I am sure we all wish cancer doesn't exist it makes things not fair I wasn't expecting to lose my furbaby she was a chitter box but it has gone quiet

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When people have to put their pets to sleep, they fall into one of the two camps of guilt:
- They made the decision too soon & have regrets for not doing more or trying harder
- They made the decision too late & regret that they made their pets suffer in their end days

I fall into the first category as well. I put my boy to sleep only 2 days after the diagnosis. We tried the steroids & appetite stimulants but he wasn't eating. He was using the bathroom on himself. He would not sleep with me, even though he slept with me every night (and midday nap) for 12 years. I could not watch him suffer so. But I still think that maybe if I waited a few more days, he would have bounced back and I could have had more time with him.

We're all human and we will feel this way but it is so important to focus on the happy years that we loved & cherished our pets instead of what happened at the end. It will take time.

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah I am still in the grieving process I am sure we all wish cancer doesn't exist it makes things not fair I wasn't expecting to lose my furbaby she was a chitter box but it has gone quiet
Those words, it has gone quiet are so heartbreaking. Mine never left my side, in fact I had to put a chair at my desk so Seth could sit on it. I had said there is now an empty chair in every room.

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When people have to put their pets to sleep, they fall into one of the two camps of guilt:
- They made the decision too soon & have regrets for not doing more or trying harder
- They made the decision too late & regret that they made their pets suffer in their end days

I fall into the first category as well. I put my boy to sleep only 2 days after the diagnosis. We tried the steroids & appetite stimulants but he wasn't eating. He was using the bathroom on himself. He would not sleep with me, even though he slept with me every night (and midday nap) for 12 years. I could not watch him suffer so. But I still think that maybe if I waited a few more days, he would have bounced back and I could have had more time with him.

We're all human and we will feel this way but it is so important to focus on the happy years that we loved & cherished our pets instead of what happened at the end. It will take time.
Thank you for your words; all so relatable. It helps to know others had the same second thoughts.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those words, it has gone quiet are so heartbreaking. Mine never left my side, in fact I had to put a chair at my desk so Seth could sit on it. I had said there is now an empty chair in every room.
I do have another cat but she is not like my other she is quiet they both have two personality I love them both equally but I seem to miss my other alot even cuddling my other cat doesn't feel better

kriswhitney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have another cat but she is not like my other she is quiet they both have two personality I love them both equally but I seem to miss my other alot even cuddling my other cat doesn't feel better
That's amazing, we have a few things in common. I also have another cat, he is 18 and has never had a personality though we still love him. He sleeps in his hiding spot 24/7, had him since shortly after birth but the complete opposite of our character Seth. He always preferred to be fed and left alone after his daily brushing. I have taken him to the vet over the years to see if there was something wrong with him, he was so strange for a cat. I believe if you get a cat, it's a lifetime commitment so we just continue to take care of him. At birth he was found under a house and ill, my guess is he was never properly weaned though we've had him since 3 months.