Cat with itchy back

foreman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 4 year old cat with a very itchy back. He shows signs of irritation whenever I pet his back. A similar thing happened last year with hair loss but it went back to normal after a while. I do not see any insect bites or skin irritation. Any possible other causes like diet?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have either the heart or air conditioning on where you live? When it happened last time did it line up with that as well?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like it could be seasonal related, since it came and went last year, particularly if it was about the same time of year. So, heat and A/C use will tie somewhat with that, especially in the areas of dust, mold, humidity, and/or dry air. But, it can also be pollen, grass, trees, weeds.

Antihistamines, just like humans use for these types of allergies, may be something to discuss with your vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you noticing a lot of dandruff in that area as well? Dry skin can cause itchiness, and it will normally show up as dandruff in cats, particularly on their lower backs. I'm dealing with that right now with my two black cats, so it shows up really well.

Feeding a diet rich in moisture helps, plus adding some type of fish oil helps, AND a daily brushing to help distribute oil evenly throughout their fur helps (or so I read). And running a humidifier because both heaters and air conditioners are drying to the air.