Cat with inflamed lip gum but vet won't see him - concerns about infection

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys

Anubis has what seems to be an inflamed / infected lip.

It started last week/ end of the week before on the right side of his lower lip - Only on that side. Rang the vet and they prescribed metacam anti inflammatory liquid over the phone.

He had that from Weds last week, till Tues, when I rang again as although that side had got a bit better, the other side was now inflamed and noticeably worse than the original issue.

They are refusing to see him as it is not urgent and have now prescribed steroids, which I can start tomorrow (had to wait two days for the metacam to clear). This is based on my description of it and a video I sent them. I'm not really very happy with this as if it gets worse it could be potentially urgent and expensive.

From what I can see when he will let me look, the lower lip kind of where the incisor sits, on the left side is red/white, swollen and looks like there is a slight discharge now. It looks pretty unpleasant for him, poor boy. I assume there is an infection there although I don't know what is causing it (indoor cat but access to catio). It looks worse today than it did on Tues.

I have a video from Tues but it won't let me upload it.

He is however still eating and grooming. I assume this is why they won't see him. He is quieter than usual.

Should I just go with the steroids and see what happens? It's a Bank Holiday tomorrow so I think they're shut. But I still don't think they'd see him :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only from Tues, have just tried and he's not cooperative...

See if this works... Again from Tues

Sorry it's mainly looking at the sofa to start and then he kept looking away. It looks worse today. It looks like the way stomatitis looks in snakes when they get it but in a small area under the incisor.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its difficult to get a good look because he keeps moving but I wonder if it's a rodent ulcer. They are treated with steriods but in your position I would seek a second opinion. I would not be happy if my vet refused to see my cat even in the current circumstances.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes , sorry, it's not great.

It's really hard to get a decent picture or video as difficult to manipulate the phone whilst trying to hold him still - would be far easier with another person. And typically the minute I point the phone at him, he tucks his chin in, or keeps looking about. It would take the vet less than 5 minutes, probably, to look at him.

I've asked twice now for them to see him but they won't. He did have a similar issue last year (inflammation, slightly raised temperature, bit quiet) and needed antibiotics to clear it. My worry is that it will get worse and then become an urgent issue which need not have happened if they saw him now.

I guess I will start the steroids tomorrow. Hopefully he will be happy to eat tuna, which I can put the tablets in.

Perhaps I should have said he had stopped eating and then they might have agreed to see him :/

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes , sorry, it's not great.

It's really hard to get a decent picture or video as difficult to manipulate the phone whilst trying to hold him still - would be far easier with another person. And typically the minute I point the phone at him, he tucks his chin in, or keeps looking about. It would take the vet less than 5 minutes, probably, to look at him.

I've asked twice now for them to see him but they won't. He did have a similar issue last year (inflammation, slightly raised temperature, bit quiet) and needed antibiotics to clear it. My worry is that it will get worse and then become an urgent issue which need not have happened if they saw him now.

I guess I will start the steroids tomorrow. Hopefully he will be happy to eat tuna, which I can put the tablets in.

Perhaps I should have said he had stopped eating and then they might have agreed to see him :/
Call them back and give them all the details
Or search for an ER vet
Steroids can temporarily mask problems I wouldnt give them blindly without a consult, at least a video consult

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tried to get some pics again but he is not having any of it.

It looks worse today, the inflamed bit seems to be around the lower incisor tooth on the right side. The gum / lip is whitey - pinky red and looks like it should be leaking, though it doesn't seem to be. He has eaten though and seems to be OK in himself?

Having looked at pictures it does look like it is similar to a rodent ulcer. I have a recollection of the vet mentioning something about granuloma last year when it happened.

I will try and get some pics or a video later, he's gone off now to get away from my shoving the phone at him. D'oh.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it is a rodent ulcer the steriods should sort it out. Poor Anubis but at least he's eating.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried to get some pics again but he is not having any of it.

It looks worse today, the inflamed bit seems to be around the lower incisor tooth on the right side. The gum / lip is whitey - pinky red and looks like it should be leaking, though it doesn't seem to be. He has eaten though and seems to be OK in himself?

Having looked at pictures it does look like it is similar to a rodent ulcer. I have a recollection of the vet mentioning something about granuloma last year when it happened.

I will try and get some pics or a video later, he's gone off now to get away from my shoving the phone at him. D'oh.
Please try contacting ER vets or other vets in the area... if you can.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still looks like a rodent ulcer to me but I'm not a vet. Are you giving him the steriods? It looks as if it could be painful and in your position I would want a vet to actually see him.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Verna started the steroid yesterday so he's had the second one today. One Pred tablet a day for 10 days then one every other day.

There seems to be a little discharge there but he's shying away from my trying to see it - I suspect combination of (a) get off me / leave me alone! and (b) ouch!

As I say he is still eating and grooming happily enough and appears to be his normal self.

The vet is shut but I have emailed them again attaching the pics posted above. I suspect they have looked at his history from last year and assumed this is the same thing again - it seems to be the same. I would still be far happier if they actually saw him though rather than doing it remotely.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The steriods should make a difference in 2/3 days so by Monday hopefully there will be improvement. If not then get back to your vets and try again. Keeping everything crossed for improvement.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He seems bright enough, he's enthusiastically killing a catnip carrot that I bought the other day when I got cat food!