Cat With High Hyperthyroidism. Won't Eat. Seems To Be In Pain. Vomiting. Starving Himself To Death.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Find out from your vet how urgent it is. Did you pay with paypal or credit card, call/chat with them, explain the issue, hang on to your emails just in case, and your credit card company should be able to cancel the payment or get you your money back, then l guess purchase it from the vet...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, also, can't the vet take your mom's credit card info over the phone?
I paid via paypal. I'm gonna have to ask the vet tomorrow, yea. Last time I saw a notice on their wall that said they don't accept any card unless someone is there to check for ID & to sign it.. Wait. I think that could be the other Vet I went to. I'm actually not sure about this one. I will have to ask if they accept that. Thanks.

It's just so difficult to get my cat to eat/keep the food in. I don't even know if antibiotics will even help that. Someone told me it really won't since it's probably fatty liver, which I know the only cure for it is to keep him eating food. But 3-5oz of food everyday is so difficult. He could barely eat a tsp without vomiting. And the doctor doesn't recommend any anti nausea pills, which I tried asking for. Feeding tube is probably the only option I have but alas, I don't have the funds/money for that. Actually the doctor hasn't suggest that yet. She did suggest I hospitalized him. The doctor actually told me if the antibiotics & Hepato Support doesn't help & he still won't eat & he keeps getting worse, I may have to think of euthanasia just in case he is suffering. That's the first time a vet has mentioned it to me. I've had it in the back of my head but never thought that I'd actually have to choose it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, you both are amazing!
I'm pretty sure PayPal will help you cancel that order, hang in there with these things!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are at the point where you are syringe feeding your cat, then I would say yes, you need the antibiotics ASAP.
I have a friend whose cat had hepatitis and her liver values were way up. She did the antibiotics and it took awhile but they got the liver values down and the cat is fine. It took several rounds of antibiotics, though.
I would make the effort, spend the money and get them from the vet.
Have you given the online place your credit card information yet?
If not, then don't worry about them. If you have, keep trying to reach them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd also recommend if your cat is already having liver problems (hepatic lipidosis) then a feeding tube (e-tube) would help you to deliver the calories she needs to recover, without having to fight her to put a syringe in her mouth.

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are at the point where you are syringe feeding your cat, then I would say yes, you need the antibiotics ASAP.
I have a friend whose cat had hepatitis and her liver values were way up. She did the antibiotics and it took awhile but they got the liver values down and the cat is fine. It took several rounds of antibiotics, though.
I would make the effort, spend the money and get them from the vet.
Have you given the online place your credit card information yet?
If not, then don't worry about them. If you have, keep trying to reach them.
I was able get in touch with someone from the site on their fb page & they cancelled it for me. You are right. I called the vet about it & they told me it's important he takes it soon. The problem now is that it would apparently cost more than $70 now just to get Orbax antibiotics from the Vet. And that I apparently need another appointment/office visits just to get it. That's more money to spend with office visit fee plus whatever else. I really don't have much to spend so I don't even think I can afford that now. I feel like I can't do anything for my cat anymore since money is a big issue. Even having him PTS costs money. At this point, I'm just out of option. There's really nothing I can do now but to just wait. And I feel really bad about this.

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd also recommend if your cat is already having liver problems (hepatic lipidosis) then a feeding tube (e-tube) would help you to deliver the calories she needs to recover, without having to fight her to put a syringe in her mouth.
I wish I could do that option. Unfortunately, money is a problem. I cannot afford any kind of surgery for feeding tube or hospitalization. Even trying to buy his meds is proving to be difficult since they're pricy. (I don't have a job.) Sadly, I think I just need to accept that I can't save my cat since I don't have the money for it. I feel bad for him. But there's nothing else I can do. He deserves a better owner that can afford his medical expenses.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to your vet and see if they can work out a payment plan with you? My vet does this, to allow you to pay off bills a bit at a time. You should call them and ask.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm confused...you just posted yesterday that you had more blood work done, so why do you need to have it done yet again?
I'm so sorry you are having problems. Your cat has lasted since you first posted this she he/she is hanging in there. Maybe your mom will come home soon and can help you.

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Carecredit? The Pet Fund? Your mom's credit card over the phone?
I'm not qualified for Care credit. My mom doesnt have a CC. She's not qualified either for any CC. She has a debit card with a lil money she gets from retirement. The Vet doesnt accept CC over the phone or payment plan. They want you to pay right there. They don't bill either.

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess I'm confused...you just posted yesterday that you had more blood work done, so why do you need to have it done yet again?
I'm so sorry you are having problems. Your cat has lasted since you first posted this she he/she is hanging in there. Maybe your mom will come home soon and can help you.
Sorry for the confusion. But yea. I did have my cat's bloodwork done just recently. But when I called to see if I can obtain/buy the prescription from them since online will take longer than necessary, they told me it will cost a lot more than the amount they told me first since I need to for some reason make another appointment & speak with the doctor. Then they told me they'll call me again to quote me on the price. I'm actually just thinking of buying it at petsmart even if it will take a few days...

anonie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to update. I had my cat PTS. It's been a lil more than 2 weeks since. I was and still is very devastated so I didn't get the chance to update this. I prepared myself for something like this but I guess no matter how much preparation I do, it's still really difficult for me to process that my cat, my best friend & my little baby is gone. This past weeks have been very difficult for me. Everything in my room or heck everything in the house reminds me of my cat. I keep imagining him in every corner of his fav place to lay or hang out. He was a big part of my life so him being gone is such a big change like something is missing. I also started blaming myself for what happened & started thinking of all the possibilities I could have done to change things. Even now I'm wondering if having my cat PTS was really the best decision. But I know if I didn't, he would be suffering. So I'd like to think he is happy & free of pain & suffering now. But I can't helped but think I did something wrong. That I could have done something else to save him. But now I have to live with this feeling my whole life until I can learn to forgive myself & my mistakes. I even dream of my cat just lying on the floor. I pet him. I call to him. But he isn't responding, moving & breathing. I guess in my dreams, I see him the same way he was when he was PTS. I hope someday I can finally dream of my cat alive & happy. Thanks to everyone here for all the replies and help. I love my cat a lot like family and I really miss him.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anonie, I am so sorry. I know how hard it is. Most of us do. You are not alone. There's always a regret of some sort and guilt. You did what you could. And you loved that cat and he knew it. You will always have him in your heart for the rest of your life. Every cat that is saved and given a good home, like the one you provided, is a blessing to us and we bless them in return. We are so lucky to have them. Just let yourself grieve and go into the rainbow bridge section here and vent and post all you want. There are so many wonderful folks here who listen. It's a place to be when the others in your life don't wanna hear about it anymore.

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this :( I am struggling with what to do with my hyperthyroid boy...he can't take the meds, doesn't like the thyroid food, so I am trying the thyroid gold drops for the time being, but I still can't help but feel I am putting him thru hell just to keep him alive. Some days are good, some days he gets sick and won't eat..He's just like a walking bag of bones. Tonite my hubby said kitty tried to jump on the bed twice and missed. I think the time is coming, but I can't bring myself to do it. Sending hugs to you during this difficult time.