Cat With Gardia

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m new to the group, thank you for allowing me to join. I have been reading all the valuable info. about Giardia because my cat, Mickey has it at the moment.

I’ve had him for 14 years since he was a kitten off the streets. He’s always been rather scared and no matter how much I’ve tried over the years I’ve not managed to gain his full trust. He’s very friendly with my three other cats but stays clear of my two tiny Yorkies. When these get sick, I have no problems giving them their medicines. Mickey has never been sick up till now, this is the time I’ve been dreading.

A couple of months ago we moved house and I’m now keeping all four cats stay indoors as we live on a busy street. Our previous house had a big garden and was in a safe area, the cats had access to indoors and outdoors.

One of my Yorkies had diarrhea recently for a couple of weeks but it cleared up on its own and she ate normally. Mickey has had it for a couple of weeks too but I took him to the vet four days ago when he stopped eating. He only poops a little in the morning and evening. His blood tests were normal. The vet gave me some meronidazole to give to him, naturally he wouldn’t take it and wouldn’t allow me to get close to him. I tried wrapping him up in a towel but he scratched, meowed angrily and tried biting me! I’ve tried all the suggestions that I found in the forums and nothing has worked. I’ve tried giving him all sorts of nice tasting food too. When I’m giving food to all my other pets he comes to the kitchen and looks on. He meows at me and ‘talks’ to me, we can have a little ‘conversation’ but when I try giving food to him he runs away. He drinks a little water every now and then during the day and I don’t think he’s dehydrated. He spends most of his day sleeping.

The vet wants to see Mickey again so I’m taking him tomorrow but he doesn’t like car rides. When I took him last Monday I thought he was going to die in his carrier. He laid down and just starred blankly. Anyone has/had a cat like this? I just don’t know what to do. Sorry this post is so long.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a loving person you are, to deal daily with a cat who is so aloof and untrusting! So many would have given up on the cat, and given the cat up, sealing his fate, but you have hung in there with him. :rock:

I'm totally understanding why you are having such a time giving his meds, but he really does need them! And I'm not sure what to tell you. The "cat burrito" is generally the fall-back plan, but as you said, you've not had luck with that (I understand that too, it takes four people to get my cat wrapped, and I live alone!). SO...I don't have a solution for you, but I do know that once someone has posted a reply, others seem to follow! Let's hope that is true here and someone will have an idea for you that will work!

Until then, at least know that you aren't alone with this anymore, and that someone cares! I'm glad that you found TCS when you did. When you have a moment, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your fur babies to our community. You can even mention that you have a thread in the health forum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your very nice reply! Well Mickey woke up this morning meowing his head off and even allowed me to stroke his head - you can imagine how happy that made me feel! And even better, he ate some recovery food I bought for him - just a couple of tablespoons but his medicine was mixed up in it. The vet was pleased to hear this, hopefully Mickey will continue to eat and take his medicine and recover. I must say, my husband and I almost fell over with surprise when we saw him eat a little and take his medicine :-)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS ~does happy dance :banana2:~ Keep us posted on how he gets along! I'm betting that he has turned that corner, and will barely look back!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a cat. If you look up "finicky" in Webster's Dictionary, there will be a picture of a cat next to it.

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thank goodness I haven’t had many finicky cats!

He was less choosy today although he expects a little sardine (I only give him a couple of teaspoons) in the morning which is what I’ve been using to hide his medicine in. Thankfully he also took some of his normal food today, I don’t want him to stay on sardines.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, a nibble won't hurt him, but it might just kill you! Then again, I am not a fan of sardines.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, my father always called anchovies "eye brows." He'd order a pizza with "everything, hold the eye brows" and they always knew what he meant. He also told me, "Never trust a fish that needs a barber."

Anne Marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi just wanted to let you know that Mickey finished his meds today and is back to his normal self prowling around the kitchen at feeding time, making sure the dogs don’t get fed before him! He seems to have put on some weight which I’m happy about. I’m keeping him on recovery food for a little while longer but I also give him some of his normal food.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is wonderful news! :bunnydance: I'm tickled that he's better, but don't be a stranger just because of that!