Cat with food allergy

jenna888

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all. Question below in bold. My cat that survived a FATE episode 2 months ago now seems to have developed a food allergy. Already tried flea treatment and her itching has not stopped (and no evidence of fleas anyway in my indoor cats, but common things being common, thought I'd give it a try). She used to be on grain free food before her FATE episode (whole hearted) but I had switched back to purina indoor formula when I got her out of the hospital because she eats more of that brand. So a lot of new foods: purina indoor naturals, cod, new medicine/plavix, also almo chicken with cheese wet food. She has a flaky bald spot near her neck on her chest side wall and little bald spots on her ears and red raised rash in her ear. I'm pretty sure it's a food allergy. Vet appointments stress her out and I'm not putting her through that for something that is an obvious diagnosis, so if that is your only advice, please move along.

I've switched back to whole hearted (in case the allergy is to grains) and obviously haven't been sharing my human food, cod and all, with her anymore. I was wondering how long you trial the new food before you see improvement in the scratching/itching? 1 week, 2 weeks? I know the trial is supposed to be atleast 8 weeks on elimination diets, but wondering at what time period you all saw improvement in symptoms for your food-allergic furbaby. Trying to decide when to make the total switch to venison-based diet to eliminate chicken as the possible trigger (would prefer not to do this off the bat since it's a good source of protein, and the other elimination diets use peas/etc. as first ingredient which isn't as healthy).

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat peanut butter had a respiratory allergy, After 2 years of experimentation the cause turned out to be anything chicken in any food. I noticed the change within a week. Don't just look at food allergies can be anything, Scented litter, Black mold, Perfume candles, smoking. Good luck. I now filter the air in the litter room, use no scent cat litter, and got lucky.