Cat With Fip - Needs Medicine!

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

We have a stray here. He is around 3 years old and sadly suffers from FIP. His Kidneys are starting to fail and his body cannot make blood. We have started treatments, most of the medicine the vets reccomended can be found here in Turkey however we cannot obtain 'Fortekor'

Fortekor is not available here in Turkey. The vets told us we can obtain the medicine from abroad however all the sites I have checked require prescriptions from the country they are being sold. Ie Uk site wants a UK vet prescription.

Does anyone know how I can obtain this medicine without a prescription!!

Help please! He is too young to give up on :(:(:(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you been able to take the stray to see a vet? Are there NO alternatives to this drug that a vet could recommend? Partly why I ask this is that one of the potential side effects of this drug is kidney failure - the very thing you are trying to forestall.

Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful. I just wanted to acknowledge your post and tell you I hope you can find a way to accomplish what you are trying to do for this poor little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he has been checked by the vets and is now staying with his 'foster' family.

I ask this is that one of the potential side effects of this drug is kidney failure
Wow how very stange! We asked the vet about alternatives and he said that this drug was vital.

I hope you can find a way to accomplish what you are trying to do for this poor little guy.
Thank you so much :):)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'll have a look at Canadian sites

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure about the complexities of international prescriptions. But can't your vet write a prescription that will be honored by an international pharmacy?

Also, FIP is not curable or even really treatable :(. It may be best not to prolong his suffering.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read your post about the medicine. Try Canada and let us know. Is there no other medicine that would work? I do find it listed under another name. Benazepril. Maybe it could be bought under that name or others I see listed. I’m afraid all will be prescription. Ask the vet if that could be done. Can the vet just write the prescription for you to buy it elsewhere or is that illegal there? I see it listed under other forms for humans but I guess that would not work for a cat. I would try contacting the company that makes it if all else fails. Maybe they can help. I did find a company that says you can consult a vet but I don’t know anymore than that about them. They sell pet products. Maybe they can answers any questions about the availability or equivalent.
You can call at 1-800-844-1427 or email at
[email protected]
Or [email protected]
You could go to their site and check them out. You should check all this with your vet before taking any action.

Mabo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hii,

We found it!! :hyper: The medicine is going to be shipped here by a week latest!

Thank you all for the help!