Cat with feline dementia pooping outside litter box

mbrown35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, do any of you have ideas on what I can do with my senile old cat who is now pooping outside his litter box?  He just started doing this about a three weeks ago, and I am concerned he's just getting more senile.  We have an appointment with the vet in a few days, but in the mean time I wanted to get some feedback from the experts 

Some details on our situation:

- 16 year old cat, whom the vet thinks has feline dementia as of about 6 months ago

- only cat in the house for the last year

- HUGE litter box, which used to be used by four cats - now he's the only one (as of a year ago)

- litter box is literally 4 feet long and 1.5 feet wide - it's actually an under-bed storage box which we re-purposed when we had 4 cats

- litter is cleaned mostly every morning, but sometimes every other day if we're busy (we have a 1.5 year old) and never left more than 2 days (very rare, we don't get out much LOL)

- no peeing issues, and not all poop is outside the box.  Maybe 2 days out of 7 he is pooping outside the box

- pooping outside the box seems to have no correlation to what we're doing - doesn't matter if we're home or not, if we have people over, if we're in the basement... I can't think of anything which might be stressing him out on the days he chooses the floor over the box

- no visible issues with the poop - it's soft and he's not constipated, no blood, no yowling when he's going, no difference in poop when he goes in the box or outside of it

- the litter box is in a cubby hole under the stairs, where it has been the whole 7 years we have lived here.  It's a 4ft x 8ft room with a door which is only used for the littler. Nothing else is in the room and no changes to the room since we moved in

- it's on the basement level of our house, which is also where he poops incorrectly - in the room adjacent to the littler room

- not a lot of traffic on that floor, just laundry - that floor is not baby-proof so we don't spend any social time down there so he's got a lot of privacy

After reading other posts I will get some Feliway and spray that in the room he's incorrectly pooping in... but I wanted to see if anyone else on this forum also had issues with a cat with dementia and whether they were able to solve this problem.  I am really hoping there is something else which we could attribute this behaviour to, since if the answer is that he's going crazier then I don't know what we can do to solve the problem....

Oh, and with the dementia, he yowls in the middle of the night (every night), he gets day & night mixed up, he thinks he's alone in the house when we're here (I can tell this because he gets the rips and runs into the room we're in and has this hilarious surprised look on his face when he sees us LOL).  But he is very gentle with our daughter and we love him.  We would love to find a solution to this pooping problem as my husband is at his wit's end with this and we're now talking about "other options" if it gets worse 

Please help!!  Thanks 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would try putting a second litter box in the room he is having accidents in. If he does in fact have dementia, he simply may be forgetting exactly where the box is on occasion.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Under bed storage boxes have higher sides, I use them. At his age it might be difficult getting in and out, how about trying something with Lower sides. Also cats need a litter box on every floor even when younger. Imagine an old person racing to the bathroom, you have to make the boxes more accessible in more locations and with low sides ( arthritis)

Last edited: