Cat With Egc - Vet Wants Full Tooth Extraction, Thoughts?

kumbaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and registered specifically to get your thoughts on this matter.

My cat, age 12, is suffering from what the vet identifies as Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex. He's had it his whole life, and when it flares up (roughly every 10-12 weeks), he has swelling, redness, tenderness and pain in his gums and surrounding mouth area. Occasionally, he'll have a bad outbreak where other areas (paws, ears, anus) are affected, as well. It takes a serious toll on his appetite and overall quality of life, and he's miserable when his pain returns. We've been managing his symptoms with regular doses of antibiotics and steroids - not ideal, I know, but it's the only course of treatment that's provided him with some relief.

Our vet recently changed ownership, and the new owner is recommending a full tooth extraction, claiming it will completely cure his symptoms and prevent recurrence. The former vet, an older gentleman, previously told me this was an option, but that he wouldn't recommend it for my cat due to his small jaw and the high probability of breaking it during the procedure. My cat only weighs about 7.5 pounds, and his jaw is insanely small. When I told the new vet about the old vet's opinion, he assured me this was no longer an issue because he's recently purchased a special drilling machine to assist with the more delicate extractions. He and one of the vet technicians told me they've performed this on several cats already, all of whom are now symptom-free.

I want to help my cat and get rid of his health problems, but this sounds too good to be true. The risks are almost too great - he could be pain-free for the rest of his life, but what if something goes wrong? What if his pain returns anyway, or they break his jaw and I have to put him down? The new vet assured me it would be successful, despite my concerns, and even gave me a reasonable quote for the procedure.

What would you do in my situation?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So this is different from Stomatitis? I do know that Vets often suggest a full mouth extraction for Stomatitis, and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't. But I've never heard of EGC in the mouth, and I can't find anything indicating that they are one and the same. So...

IF they were to inadvertently break his jaw, he wouldn't have to be PTS, other cats have had broken jaws from car accidents, etc and survived. (there are always feeding tubes that work quite well that go directly into the esophagus, but we're getting ahead of ourselves) In my opinion, quality of life is far better than quantity of life, especially for a cat who doesn't really understand why they are in pain or suffering when this is "full blown". If he were my cat, I'd go for it.