Cat With Chronic Respiratory Infections + Diarrhea

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. My cat has been perpetually sickly since I’ve had her about five years ago. Her nose is always stuffed to a degree, and she’s developed a permanent head tilt. Every few months, like clockwork, it develops into what is apparently a bad infection in her sinuses which requires a trip to the vet for a round of antibiotics, which will clear it up for about three months, (she’ll still have sniffles and head tilt, just not as severe). But then we start all over again.

The symptoms of her infection include a bad, bitter smell from her breath, completely encrusted nostrils, a goop covered eye, and possibly most concerning, uncontrollable diarrhea. She’ll be sleeping on my lap, then suddenly she’ll stand up and let it go. The diarrhea seems very undigested, and usually smells (and looks) like what she ate recently, plus a whole lot of mucus.

I’ve taken her to three vets, I’ve had her bloodwork done multiple times, I’ve changed her diet to strictly grain free food, I have her on daily lysine and probiotic supplements, I put her in the bathroom with the vaporizer, I use saline drops in her nose, in other words I’ve done everything I’ve seen suggested here and on other forums, and NOTHING works.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m kind of at the end of my rope here. I’ve got another trip to the vet today for probably Veraflox (which usually works for the diarrhea side).

Thanks.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing i would ask is what foods you are feeding. dry, wet, brand?
Second thing i would ask is the litter you use?

Food allergies could be a problem, as can the litter. Maybe a complete change of food, different protein and a different brand.

Clay, scented or dusty litter can cause problems with her eyes and respiratory system.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have made a complete change of food from dry kibble to that new Rachel Ray grain free wet stuff (she loves it). Maybe I should try something else.

I hadn’t thought of the litter, but that makes sense. I use just regular clay litter, but it is dusty. I’ll see what other options there are in my area.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Regarding food, you might take a look at this - it's a little out of date already (last update Nov 2017) which means we all need to use magnifying glasses on the ingredient lists of bags and cans, however it is a starting point for someone who is working to make some sense out of pet food.
Pet Food Guide

For litter, depending on what you have access to Littermaid has corncob litter, and also a walnut litter that's labeled as clumping and both are basically dust free. There is also dr elsey's respiratory relief crystals. My household is doing a mix of clay and corncob in one box and clay and walnut in the other box - the corncob and the walnut literally absorb a lot of the bentonite dust.

You're probably aware of these things causing issues, but do you have scented candles, strongly scented dryer sheets and/or laundry soap, perfume, strongly scented spray cleaners (bath, kitchen, furniture, window).
Do you have mold in your house? If it isn't a house, do you have a neighboring apartment that could be causing the issue by having scented candles or air fresheners going all the time?

Hang in there--let us know how things go!

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rachel Ray wet food is very high in Fiber, this could definitely be an issue with her. I would change the food, and see if that helps.
i use the cat food database to look at foods. You might find some in your area that you want to compare.

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

If you have a walmart in your area i really like the Littermaid walnut litter i get there.
If you have a Kroger they have a grass litter, Abound, that is good too.
Depending on what you can find locally i would recommend a change, away from any dust or scent. If you stay with clay go for an unscented, as low dust as possible. I did see a new arm and hammer clump and seal unscented at walmart this weekend. I think Fresh step makes an unscented too, not sure how dusty they are. 3 of my 4 would be fine with a low dust clay. 1 would not, any clay is too dusty for him, so i use the walnut and the grass litters, which i quite like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yokitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks both of you! I’ll definitely try a different food and litter. I don’t have perfumed candles or cleaners or anything like that, since I’m very sensitive to strong scents myself.

It’s an old house, so mold is definitely possible, but I think the litter and food is more likely, since she’s had this before I moved here.

I think I’ll move her to a limited ingredient diet first, and see if that helps.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks both of you! I’ll definitely try a different food and litter. I don’t have perfumed candles or cleaners or anything like that, since I’m very sensitive to strong scents myself.

It’s an old house, so mold is definitely possible, but I think the litter and food is more likely, since she’s had this before I moved here.

I think I’ll move her to a limited ingredient diet first, and see if that helps.
If you bring any dry back in her diet my mom has been having very good luck with the new prey formula from taste of the wild. they have a turkey and a beef. very limited ingredients. here is a link. I think its in most pet stores, and tractor supply.

» Formula Results

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh fantastic. I’ve got a Tractor Supply in my town! Thanks!
good. my cats, and my moms cats like the turkey formula, and the beef as well. just watch out, Tractor supply has their own new dry food as well, Untamed, my mom almost got it last week by mistake. It may be a good food, i dont know. Have not tried it. But with the way my moms cats have done on taste of the wild Prey, i am confident it is good :)

and surprisingly enough, the Beef may be a slight favorite. We do have a petsense in our town, they dont have a lot of cat foods, but they do carry this one. a week or so ago they were giving out small sample size bags of the Prey, both flavors, free. might check and see if your local store has samples?

Last edited: