Cat With Broken Leg/ No Money To Take Him To The Vet

poorkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with a broken front leg, left leg. I am a minor with no money to take him to the vet. He walks with the leg up and lays down alot. I also heard that cat bones heal by themselves. I CANNOT GET HIM TO THE VET. Will he be okay?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only a vet would be able to evaluate if he will be able to heal properly. While cats can and do heal from broken bones without vet care it's the some prognosis as a human healing from a broken bones without a doctor's care.

Assuming the break is clean and the leg is not visibly deformed, chances are better. Limiting movement and ensure the damage doesn't get worst is the best thing to do in that case. Ideally, crate rest for 6 to 8 weeks but a small bathroom or room with minimal jumping opportunities can work. He'd be in trouble if an infection set in or any complications came up though.

If the leg is visibly deformed, you need to figure out a way to see a vet. If it is visibly deformed it won't heal straight without a vets assistance. Not healing straight will lead to skeletal stress which means serious complications down the line. Do NOT try to straighten it yourself; you could make it worse or kill him. An option in that case is to contact local rescues and surrender him so they will take care of the vet issue. Do not do this with a county shelter because injuried animals are often put down; you'd want to make sure it isn't kill and they would help him.

CaturdayNightsAllRight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some animal shelters do clinic days. I would recommend reaching out to any of the shelters in your area to see if they will see and treat your cat for free.

gammycatpurrson

Dilemma: I love cats. I love mice.
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with a broken front leg, left leg. I am a minor with no money to take him to the vet. ...I CANNOT GET HIM TO THE VET. Will he be okay?
I understand no money, but is there a transportation problem, too?

Are you on Twitter, FaceBook, Instagram? Can you put out the word to friends and extended family asking for help?

You should also call around to every vet and vet hospital you can, because you might either find a vet who is willing to help you at no charge, or that someone has created a special fund at a local vet or vet hospital just for people like you.

There used to be an organization called "Maddy's Fund," that helped people who couldn't pay for vet services. I don't think they still exist, but maybe if you do a thorough Google search, you might find there is a national foundation established to pay for veterinary care.

Perhaps you might also get in touch with a guy by the name of Nathan Winograd, who has decided his mission in life is to document abuses by animal shelters and animal rights organizations, and to try to persuade all shelters to stop euthanizing. He and his staff have an extensive network of contacts, and he may be able to point you in the right direction. Google him!
:goodluck:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, bones will eventually heal but, if not treated and set properly by a vet, will likely heal incorrectly which may cause ongoing or later issues with leg (not able to walk properly, etc).

Do you live with you parents or other guardian? Have you asked them to pay for the treatment the cat needs for the broken leg? If you have, are they not willing to spend money on "just a cat"? Ask relatives, neighbors, even teachers at school for help or ideas on how to quickly raise the money needed to at least pay for an initial vet exam and x rays.

Look for a low cost vet clinic in your area. These are more affordable and offer many of the basic services.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And what caused the leg injury? Fell from something really tall? Injured outdoors by something (another cat or animal, car, etc)?

When did the leg injury occur?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poorkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Firstly, thanks for all of the amazing advice! And don't know what caused the injury but he is hopping around with his leg up. There is a wound on the side of it and my mom said it is probably broken.