Cat With Broken Back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are trying very hard to do the best for your little kitten and it must be incredibly hard with so few places to help or resources around you. Even living in urban areas of countries with many vets and animal care resources it is hard to find experienced veterinary care for cats with spinal injuries.
There are other threads on this site where people have cared for kittens and cats who have lost power in their back legs and not been able to control toileting and I am sure one of them shows pictures of pads they found which helped to contain toileting and hopefully reduced some of the distress for the cat as well as keeping their home healthier. I will take a look around to see if I can find that thread - that person's cat had a different cause for the back limb problems and bladder and bowel control and they did see a lot of improvement but the toileting difficulty continued. If anyone else remembers which thread / member was posting please feel free to add in the link if you can find it.
Thanks for your help i really appreciate it, i'm trying to make a wheelchair for him but i dont know how... and my kitten is getting worse everyday and i talked to a girl that she is also kurdish like me but she has alot of experience i told her the whole story and we found out that the vet used a stronh medication thats why my kitten end up like that.

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah! As fate would have it, there has been some recent posting with people asking how young Reeves is doing so I have the link - and a photograph copied from the thread showing him quite grown up and in his diaper.
Kitten who can't move

Unfortunately Reeves family have not been on site since last year (hopefully due to being kept busy by Reeves and the human family they were expecting at the time) but there are lots of helpful suggestions for how to help your kitten with movement to help with circulation and range of movement in the limbs he can not move, and perhaps help him with being aware of his whole body including parts he is not able to move or feel.
So what am i gonna do now? All the vets that i visited told me the same thing that there is no hope for him...

yarashlbx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The wheelchair that I posted the you tube for was home made from Legos. Toy building blocks. Here is one that a man made for a small dog. If you decide to try to adopt the kitten, You could make a smaller one for the kitten if you think about it. It is a challenge to even think about caring for a cat this disabled. Thank you for trying to find something that works for you and her. Please keep us posted.
Is there a video that shows how to make one like that? Cuz i really dont know how to make it.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not be discouraged because you don't know how. Someone else had to do it the first time and had no one to help them but love for an animal that needed help. Look at the pictures looks like some small PVC pipe and joints , wheels from a toy and make the harness from old belts, leather pieces. It's important the wheels are big enough and very free moving.
Please make sure you are helping him pass urine and have bowel movements even if he seems to be going on his own.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
yarashlbx yarashlbx Are you able to play the video links in #7 and #18? They both show quite a bit of detail on how to make up a little wheelchair. The main points are to get the height right so hold up your kitten's back limbs from the floor and then wide strapping to support the body, hold the cart when your cat moves forward or back, and to prevent the cart from dropping down at the shoulders. You could test out a little how your kitten is likely to react by supporting his body from about an inch under and behind his front limb joint down under his belly and towards his hips with a strip of soft but firm fabric - like he is in a sling other than his limbs: lifting his back legs just clear of the floor and see how he responds. Move with him if he moves forwards or to the side using any strength in his front limbs. Coax him with a little treat food or a toy he likes if you can.